Honored Contributor

Re: QVC going out of the jewelry business?

On 10/24/2014 StarChild said:

Just got an email from ShopHQ - they're having a Gem Week from Oct. 24 - 30. I can't recall when the Q last had a Gem Week (they usually were in January around the time of my birthday). I went over to look and fortunately there really wasn't anything that appealed to me so my wallet is very happy but it is nice they scheduled something like this before Xmas.

I saw that and thought 'oh, interesting' until I saw that it seemed to all be silver.

Too bad they are getting away from gold, like the others. I would be willing to bet that there are still a lot of people out there who would prefer to buy fine jewelry made of gold or gold with gems.

Occasional Contributor

On 10/23/2014 maddiecat said:

It's probably been 10+ years since I've bought any jewelry from QVC. When my mom was alive, she bought many lovely pieces from the 18k and Once in a Lifetime shows. I have inherited that jewelry and am so thankful to have it. There's no way I could begin to afford those pieces in today's dollars.

I wear a lot of David Yurman jewelry and usually add a new piece every year or two.

Perhaps if QVC started offering better quality jewelry and had shows on more often, interest might be revived in jewelry.

It's about prices. Increasing awareness of internet and Google, has disclosed the market and now people has new choices, lower prices for same quality. This may be one the reason.

Honored Contributor

On 10/24/2014 EarthMinerals said:
On 10/23/2014 maddiecat said:

It's probably been 10+ years since I've bought any jewelry from QVC. When my mom was alive, she bought many lovely pieces from the 18k and Once in a Lifetime shows. I have inherited that jewelry and am so thankful to have it. There's no way I could begin to afford those pieces in today's dollars.

I wear a lot of David Yurman jewelry and usually add a new piece every year or two.

Perhaps if QVC started offering better quality jewelry and had shows on more often, interest might be revived in jewelry.

It's about prices. Increasing awareness of internet and Google, has disclosed the market and now people has new choices, lower prices for same quality. This may be one the reason.

I found an excellent online retailer of 10k, 14k, and 18k jewelry and it sells for a whole lot less per gram than Q. The quality is outstanding and their customer service is excellent.

If another retailer can sell like this, why can't Q with their buying power?

Honored Contributor

On 10/23/2014 Pagan said: I too wish they'd replace David as the buyer.

I agree. David's choices are so off target most of the time. I'd love to be able to advise him on what women really want!

I laugh when I hear him say gold is a good deal at $100 per gram. It isn't. Gold price is down 30% and $100 per gram is way overpriced. I'm not a novice at buying gold jewelry and I know a deal when I see it....and I also know quality gold jewelry and it's really lacking at Q these days.

Regular Contributor

CalmInTheH­eart: I found an excellent online retailer of 10k, 14k, and 18k jewelry and it sells for a whole lot less per gram than Q. The quality is outstanding and their customer service is excellent.

OK so who is this excellent online retailer?

Esteemed Contributor

The HSN CEO reported at her last quarterly call that jewelry and electronics were very weak for them, and they were planning on growing beauty and kitchen/home textiles, which were very strong and profitable segments.

Super Contributor

On 10/20/2014 CalmInTheHeart said:

Q's financial reports show a marked decrease in jewelry sales. Duh! Any business that sells the cwap that Q sells would have a huge decrease in jewelry sales too. Q would see their jewelry sales jump if they went back to offering mid-range, quality gold jewelry.

QVC sells the largest amount of jewelry, much more than any

other vendor out there so if the Q has struggling sales, the

other companies will be weeping over their bottom lines

Occasional Contributor

I am a QVC charter member since the first show. Bought almost every piece of Joan Rivers Classics--made in Providence R.I. Excellent quality. Then.....production moved to China and the quality went waaaaay down. Susan Graver used to be better quality, now made overseas. Price has gone way up for poorly made, run of the mill clothing. The older viewers probably don't need any more jewelry and have better taste in clothing that SG line sells. I agree that the Q has outlived its appeal to the general public and probably will move on to electronics and vacuum sweepers. Christmas in July lasts 6 months and TSVs are usually yet another computer.

Honored Contributor

On 10/26/2014 mama smurf said:

I am a QVC charter member since the first show. Bought almost every piece of Joan Rivers Classics--made in Providence R.I. Excellent quality. Then.....production moved to China and the quality went waaaaay down. Susan Graver used to be better quality, now made overseas. Price has gone way up for poorly made, run of the mill clothing. The older viewers probably don't need any more jewelry and have better taste in clothing that SG line sells. I agree that the Q has outlived its appeal to the general public and probably will move on to electronics and vacuum sweepers. Christmas in July lasts 6 months and TSVs are usually yet another computer.

I still have some clothing pieces from QVC that were actually Made in the USA. I bet if those pieces were made in China, back then, I wouldn't still be able to wear them!

Respected Contributor

I don't think the majority of buyers are into jewelry anymore. Electronics and technology are the big things now. It's a new world. Smiley Happy
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero