Frequent Contributor

Re: If you took a Judith Ripka piece to an appraiser....

I have been a Gemstone collector, besides a Jewelry collector for Many Years and I pay attention to the Gem and Metals Market almost daily as well as sell on E-bay at times. These JR prices are a joke, Way out the ball park, They are cashing in on people who are addicted to collecting Her line. It don't matter that there using doublets, fake stones, clad settings, the addicted will still buy it. Its kind of Sad really. I would not touch Her fake stuff with a ten foot pole even if it was five bucks, that's just not for Me. I use to like Diamonique even though it was a CZ and would buy a few pieces now and then but I have noticed that even that line is getting way over priced, and If I buy anything it is never ever ever clad, I will pick the sterling silver first over the clad bc once that stuff tarnishes or starts coming off there is no fix. I just cant spend that kind of money on fashion jewelry that has the same value of something You can get in the isle at the big W store. But, to each there own right. Happy Shopping everyone.... I still want My Owl Ring QVC!!

Regular Contributor

and of course Lisa always tells the truth, I can't believe JR is asking $400 to $600 plus for her "high end" faux stuff. I'm sorry, but I would rather put that down on real silver for gold and smaller real jewels.

Sadly there are lisa followers who believe everthing she says.

Respected Contributor

An appraisal gives you the cost to replace an item for insurance purposes. Not the price you can sell an item for. Once you buy it, it's a used jewelry item.
Honored Contributor

On 3/21/2014 Puppy Lips said:

She is charging for her "designer" talents. We can all agree that if no one bought it, they may get the idea and lower their prices. I have a few of her things and don't even wear those. I have no desire to buy any more -- too fancy for my tastes.

I was talking to a local jeweler in our town who used to have a huge jewelry store in New Jersey. I mentioned Judith Ripka, and he had no idea who that was. Not sure who that was a reflection on, the store owner or Ripka.

Judith Ripka is a REAL designer. She is still in Fine Jewelry at Saks in NYC and advertises in New York magazine and NY Times (the REAL stuff). She advertises her Monaco line a lot.

I have the early QVC bracelet with the heart pendant. It is in Saks, with a line of diamonds where the Q version has a beaded edge - and 18K - $16,000. I brought my bracelet to Saks to say "hello" to her big city cousin!

I can't imagine a jeweler who hasn't heard of her, especially someone who worked close to NYC.

Respected Contributor

On 3/21/2014 catlvr said:

She is charging for her "designer" talents. We can all agree that if no one bought it, they may get the idea and lower their prices. I have a few of her things and don't even wear those. I have no desire to buy any more -- too fancy for my tastes.

I was talking to a local jeweler in our town who used to have a huge jewelry store in New Jersey. I mentioned Judith Ripka, and he had no idea who that was. Not sure who that was a reflection on, the store owner or Ripka.

I so agree. I have mentioned the name in London and in resort jewelry stores around the country and none of the boutiques had heard of the name. I think JR is very QVC like Basso and Joan Rivers.

If your jeweler has never heard of Judith Ripka, it is more a reflection on him. If he deals in designer jewelry, you'd think he'd have come across JR at trade shows, particularly if he is in NJ. I am not talking about the stuff she does for QVC. I'm sure many small town jewelers do not know a lot about Barbara Bixby, Ann King, John Hardy, Michael Dawkins or some other designers who have lines at QVC.

As for Basso and Rivers, if you deal in furs or wedding gowns you know who Dennis Basso is. As for Joan Rivers, to most people she is a comedian, her jewelry and clothing is exclusively for QVC.

Super Contributor

They would be worth nothing. To get any kind of money for her Q pieces, you would have to sell them on ebay.

Respected Contributor

On 3/21/2014 catlvr said:

I so agree. I have mentioned the name in London and in resort jewelry stores around the country and none of the boutiques had heard of the name. I think JR is very QVC like Basso and Joan Rivers.

ITA Puppy Lips. Judith's line is very QVC, like Denim & Co and Susan Graver. I don't see any possible way her creations will ever become valuable collectibles. And, although I have several of her earlier pieces which I sometimes wear and enjoy, I bought them only because I liked the style. I don't think of them as anything of real value - they are for me to enjoy and if anyone wants them one day, they can have them when I'm gone.

As for Joan Rivers and Basso, Rivers is a common household name. (Please, fans, forgive me for the word "common"). I tried a couple of her jackets, and the arms were so long they hung past my fingertips. They went back. As for Basso, he truly does design. He has a New York studio which I visited once when I lived in Connecticut. Recently a Granddaughter was looking for a wedding gown, and every store we visited had a large selection of amazing gowns from Basso. Also if you watch "I Found the Gown" and similar shows you will see a lot of his gowns presented. They are lovely. I see real talent in him, but the persona of both Joan and Dennis turn me off.

Super Contributor

99% of everything on TV is WAY overpriced. You're paying for the CONVENIENCE of shopping in your jammies, not spending $$$$$ on gasoline, and saving time/hassle of going to a B&M store.

Trusted Contributor

I love Ripka jewelry but certainly cannot afford these prices. Even if I could, I wouldn't buy anything with DMQ but I don't like diamonds either. I know I'm crazy, huh? (Well maybe a great big diamond solitaire.) What I love is her unique way of carving the silver and if she used big natural stones. I guess I just described her high end line so all I need to do is win the lottery.

Frequent Contributor

JR really does have two Madison AVe store's and a few others out west that have recently closed there doors, those pieces are also very very over priced for what You get. There just about the same as what She sells at the Q but for a few extreme pieces at extreme prices. She still uses quartz and silver and charges 800 dollars...well lets face it Madison Ave rent is high. I think it comes down to how much You love Her Designs..I for one don't find anything in them that makes Me want to pay that amount of Money for doublets and quartz. I do like some of Her Designs and think they are very nice, until You see the actual quality of some of the stones. It's not all QVC with the pricing. Check out Her stores online. She is charging for Her Designer name, that is all. Not good enough for Me but makes very many other ladies happy and to each there own..I do like some of Her Watches but I just cant do it..I cant pay that for a watch..lol.