Honored Contributor

Re: If you took a Judith Ripka piece to an appraiser....

On 3/21/2014 sidsmom said:

I saw the TSV on the main page last night.....with the larger than life ""JR""...I thought it was Joan Rivers. Just sayin'

Joan Rivers !!!! ........ LOL

Super Contributor

On 3/21/2014 ilovedaisies said: Most of the people that are purchasing the Ripka jewelry will never sell it, so if they buy it and it makes them happy, then it's worth every penny they spent.

Exactly right.

For all who say "the jeweler wouldn't take it," I thought the question was about an appraisal?
Ripka on ebay is getting pretty inexpensive, so resale isn't much.

Honored Contributor

There's a BIG case of it at Sam's. You can't tell me that doesn't affect the value of the brand. Years ago, when she had been on QVC for about a year, a local high-end store dropped her line.

Esteemed Contributor

I have two of her QVC pieces from "back in the day" when she sold heavy gram weight, solid sterling silver pieces without clad and fake stones. the pieces I own are simple and classic. I would rather have simple & classic than clad and fake any day. but, to each there own.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Valued Contributor

I have a lot of the heavy non fake stones Ripka and I love it all I have bought it on the bay to fill in the stuff I bought when JR first came to Q. None of the clad fake stone stuff sells high. I really admire her designs, please remember it's the Q that insists on all the fakery and the ridiculous prices.
Super Contributor

On 3/21/2014 Puppy Lips said:

She is charging for her "designer" talents. We can all agree that if no one bought it, they may get the idea and lower their prices. I have a few of her things and don't even wear those. I have no desire to buy any more -- too fancy for my tastes.

I was talking to a local jeweler in our town who used to have a huge jewelry store in New Jersey. I mentioned Judith Ripka, and he had no idea who that was. Not sure who that was a reflection on, the store owner or Ripka.

I so agree. I have mentioned the name in London and in resort jewelry stores around the country and none of the boutiques had heard of the name. I think JR is very QVC like Basso and Joan Rivers.
Respected Contributor

Every color still available on the TSV at 11:45 pm!

Honored Contributor

The watch today was being presented as ""fine jewelry"". Since it was stainless and diamonique...........I'm not sure that it should be classified that way........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Valued Contributor

On 3/21/2014 LipstickDiva said:

I don't care. I don't buy any jewelry as an investment. I buy what I like and what I will wear. Unless you are buying vintage jewelry, I would guarantee you aren't going to get too much for anything. Jewelry is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

JR isn't overcharging for anything. QVC sets the price of the items. If people weren't buying the stuff, she wouldn't be on as much as she is. Do you think what you buy in jewelry stores isn't grossly marked up?

And THIS is who is buying her items! Smiley Happy That's EXACTLY her target audience! I guess you CAN sell ice to an eskimo! lol lol

As an FYI, YES jewelry is HUGELY 'marked up' BUT you can find REAL gems and REAL GOLD for a LOT LOT LOT LOT LOT (did I say LOT) LESS than what Ripka is charging for 'clad' and fake stones!!

Regular Contributor

On 3/21/2014 catlvr said:
On 3/21/2014 Puppy Lips said:

She is charging for her "designer" talents. We can all agree that if no one bought it, they may get the idea and lower their prices. I have a few of her things and don't even wear those. I have no desire to buy any more -- too fancy for my tastes.

I was talking to a local jeweler in our town who used to have a huge jewelry store in New Jersey. I mentioned Judith Ripka, and he had no idea who that was. Not sure who that was a reflection on, the store owner or Ripka.

I so agree. I have mentioned the name in London and in resort jewelry stores around the country and none of the boutiques had heard of the name. I think JR is very QVC like Basso and Joan Rivers.
But the way Lisa talks about Judith Ripka EVERYONE knows her! She's so famous and "high end". lol