Respected Contributor

Do you Change your Own Watch Batteries?

There was a post earlier today about watches and thought I would ask if you replace the batteries yourself or take it to a shop or jewelers?

I bought a watch battery replacement kit on Amazon as I need to replace batteries in about 50 new old stock Judith Ripka & Ecclissi watches.  

There will be lots of practicing on some low end watches before I attempt to change out the batteries on the better watches.

Curious if you take them in to a shop, what do they charge?

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you Change your Own Watch Batteries?

[ Edited ]

@rockygems123.  I have a lot of watches and have always taken them to a local independent jeweler for batteries.  The shop was sold and now batteries have gone up to $16. to replace.  I nearly went into shock.

I have some very expensive watches and would never break the seal to replace them myself...if indeed, I could get them open.  You can destroy the waterproofing.  I have many with tiny screws that must be manipulated. 

I've been told and have read many times to never pull out the crown (stem) to preserve battery life.  It allows moisture and dust to enter the mechanism

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@shy bobcat asked this question on the other thread about Eclissi watches.

My answer is that I always go to the jeweler so I'm pretty sure it's done correctly.

I don't remember how much it was as last time as I did two watches and had the backings changed on a pair of earrings.  All I recall is that it was a reasonable amount and worth it to me like I stated in the other thread, they last quite awhile for me as I don't wear mine all the time and I stop them when not in use.  

Honored Contributor

@rockygems123 wrote:

@rockygems123  I take mine to the mall watch/jewelry repair stand.  The batteries are expensive for my platinum (white gold) watches - $30+ after taxes.  My regular gold watches $8-$10 after taxes.

The jewelry repair stand watch batteries last 2-3 yrs. on the watch I wear daily. 

On the watches I "sometimes" wear (my travelling watches) the batters last 5+yrs because I pull the stem when not in use.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@rockygems123 I don't change the batteries in my own watches. there used to be a kiosk in my local mall where I would take mine but the mall closed so that option was out. I took a couple of watches to the local jewelry shop & he changed the battery in one of them but told me that the other watch (which was one of Isaac's ceramic watches for which I paid close to $100) was "junk" and wasn't worth doing it so he wouldn't even try. Obviously I paid him for the one watch but I will not take anything there again.

I took one watch to a different jeweler and he got the back open but couldn't get it closed again. I had him give me my not fixed watch back to me in a plastic bag and left with it. Very annoyed option #2

Third time was the charm. I found another shop not too far away and took 3 of my IM watches there for batteries.  Like @Kachina624 it was more expensive than it used to be but they did them all and now my watches actually have the correct time. 

good luck!

Trusted Contributor

I take mine to shoe repair shops, which also replace watch batteries for some odd reason.  Is this a New York city thing?!  Anyway, I usually now pay $15 - $20 per battery replacement.  These are all Ecclissi watches.  Some of my watch backs are very difficult to remove and I know I would make a mess of it.

Honored Contributor

No. The watch I wear most often was a special gift from my family. It's also waterproof. I wouldn't even consider doing it myself!  Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

I take mine to the local jewelers. That should be taken with a grain of salt. I do good to change the remote control batteries.

Esteemed Contributor

@rockygems123 wrote:

There was a post earlier today about watches and thought I would ask if you replace the batteries yourself or take it to a shop or jewelers?

I bought a watch battery replacement kit on Amazon as I need to replace batteries in about 50 new old stock Judith Ripka & Ecclissi watches.  

There will be lots of practicing on some low end watches before I attempt to change out the batteries on the better watches.

@rockygems123   I always change my own.  

Contributor

I haven't worn a watch in years, have many but just use the phone.  My husband would change the batteries though.