Super Contributor

Re: Anyone Remember This Ring?

On 3/4/2014 Sheesh said:
On 3/4/2014 WhateverLolaWants said:

Well now I have had almost all my questions answered by our historical experts! I have NEVER seen any non-Diamonique ring guards though -- anyone have a picture of those?

Also, I'm still curious about the original price -- anyone have a memory that good? Just ballpark would be fine.

Thanks again, everyone, for your replies!!

I think the Onyx might actually be Jade---I threw out all my old invoices---too bad. I recall that the DQ guards were the up sell and it came with the rope twist guards---but maybe I have it backwards ---but I really don't think so. The invoice would say DQ on it, even without the up sell, as there are the two princess cut DQ stones on the ring.

I am now very curious and I am going to try to find out.

I think newjerseygirl's link in post #21 answers the questions of the stone and the original item's guards. This has certainly turned out to be a trip down memory lane -- or should I say hazy-memory lane? LOL

Now I have to go look for the auction with the rope guards ...

Lola
Super Contributor

On 3/4/2014 newjerseygirl said:

http://www.qvc.com/Judith-Ripka-Sterling-Onyx-&-Diamonique-Ring-with-Ring-Guards.product.J41939.htm...

Thanks NJGirl!!! I thought I was going crazy...

Trusted Contributor

This set was recently listed. The description says green quartz.

I think this is the same ring that Lola bought.

~Jersey Girls don't pump gas~
Trusted Contributor

I used to own this ring, sold it a couple of years ago, which I regret. Dumb. Anyhoo, here's what the ring looks like with the rope ring guards:

photo 8fb86559-c1e4-426b-b505-51c2cb40e39e_zpsf792404f.jpg

Super Contributor

I had never seen the rope guards before the replies to this thread, Sweet Susie, but I think I like those better, with this simple, clean style of ring, than the DMQ bands. Oh well, neither one of us has them, huh? {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Lola
Trusted Contributor

On 3/6/2014 WhateverLolaWants said:

I had never seen the rope guards before the replies to this thread, Sweet Susie, but I think I like those better, with this simple, clean style of ring, than the DMQ bands. Oh well, neither one of us has them, huh? {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Yup, another Ripka piece I regret selling. Ah, well, live and learn. Her early, early pieces with the simple rope design and high polish finish (without all the textured gingerbread) coordinate so well with, dare I say it, David Yurman.

I also sold a later RipkaQ round black onyx enhancer that was encircled with one row of DMQ, a DY dupe, that I sorely regret selling. I remember seeing the DY version with diamonds for thousands at around the same time. Then there was that triple strand necklace with the DMQ stations, another DY dupe, gah, I was such an idiot for selling that one, too!

Super Contributor

On 3/7/2014 Sweet Susie said:

Yup, another Ripka piece I regret selling. Ah, well, live and learn. Her early, early pieces with the simple rope design and high polish finish (without all the textured gingerbread) coordinate so well with, dare I say it, David Yurman.

I also sold a later RipkaQ round black onyx enhancer that was encircled with one row of DMQ, a DY dupe, that I sorely regret selling. I remember seeing the DY version with diamonds for thousands at around the same time. Then there was that triple strand necklace with the DMQ stations, another DY dupe, gah, I was such an idiot for selling that one, too!

I think JR and DY's designs were much closer at that time. I know people asked me more than once back then if a JR piece I was wearing was DY. I put on a square, pavé DMQ JR ring from that era this week, and I thought, Boy, does this ever look like a DY ring!

Lola
Super Contributor

I agree that they have similar designs...There were several rings, including the split shank, citrine or amy or blue topaz, square ring. I have it in all three stones, and by far wear them most often with my DY cable bracelets. I also have that triple strand dmq station necklace...the chain on that one is a dead on match to a DY link chain. Ripka has developed some 'vintage' style pieces for her sterling silver boutique line, which are direct copies of her earlier 18k gold pieces, and reflect the early JRQ design aesthetic. I love it all, which is a problem....

Super Contributor

Hi Smarty, DY's cable bracelets with gemstone endcaps was the first time I "noticed" designer sterling and thought I might be tempted! (The rest, alas, is history ...)

I have the triple-strand JR necklace which you referenced too -- great piece, again, expensive at the time, but worth it.

Lola
Super Contributor

On 3/8/2014 WhateverLolaWants said:

Hi Smarty, DY's cable bracelets with gemstone endcaps was the first time I "noticed" designer sterling and thought I might be tempted! (The rest, alas, is history ...)

I have the triple-strand JR necklace which you referenced too -- great piece, again, expensive at the time, but worth it.

Lola, my first DY cable is my 7mm blue topaz bracelet. At the time I thought it was a fortune at $550! My husband got me a renaissance cuff with yellow and green stones for $850 one year for Christmas. Thus the love affair began...before the DY and JR era, I was strictly a gold girl back in the 1980s. Have you seen the DY aluminum pieces? Not wild about them, but my 20 year old wants one.