Valued Contributor

Advise pls re Q stretch bracelets that have broken or become slack Do you bead and have advise?

[ Edited ]

Have any of your QVC purchased bracelets lost their elasticity or have they broken while being stored?  What have you done to repair them?  Have you taken then to a jeweler or tried to restring them yourself?  If so, what did you use to re elasticise them?  My bracelets are pearl, jade from Ming show and stone from a designer show.  I also have a watch I'd like to have redone. 

Do any of you make your own stretch bracelets and have advise on what to buy to try to do it on my own? 

Thanks for your writing about your experience and your help.

Respected Contributor

Re: Advise pls re Q stretch bracelets that have broken or become slack Do you bead and have advise?

@CaChica wrote:

Have any of your QVC purchased bracelets lost their elasticity or have they broken while being stored?  What have you done to repair them?  Have you taken then to a jeweler or tried to restring them yourself?  If so, what did you use to re elasticise them?  My bracelets are pearl, jade from Ming show and stone from a designer show.  I also have a watch I'd like to have redone. 

Do any of you make your own stretch bracelets and have advise on what to buy to try to do it on my own? 

@CaChica 

As a jewelry dealer I will not sell stretch bracelets.  They typically stretch and / or break and as you mentioned even not wearing and storing the piece the elastic can break down.  This has always been the case including historically with 1930's - 1940's bakelite stretch bracelets.

A jeweler can restring or as you say you may want to try to restring yourself by buying elastic.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Advise pls re Q stretch bracelets that have broken or become slack Do you bead and have advise?

Google How to restring an elastic bracelet and lots of videos will show you how to do it yourself.

@CaChica 

Frequent Contributor

I used to make beaded jewelry for years.  You could do it yourself, but go and find clear elastic cord at a craft store.  Buy, the best you can, not cheap stuff at Walmart.  I use a brand called PowerCord and you can even buy it on Amazon. But, realize that it will all break down after few years depending on stretching wear etc. Just string on the elastic and leave enough on each end.  Find a place that you can hide the knots.  Then tie a knot and then another knot. Then put clear nail polish on the knots and try to pull them within a bead or embellishment where they won't show or rub on your wrist.  Another idea is to find a bead artist like at a craft fair/show and ask them.  I have been approached many times and always just did it for a minimal cost or free if they were a customer. Good luck! 

Honored Contributor

I would avoid buying them.  Currently there are mesh stretch bracelets from Stefano on ShopHQ.  I don't know if they were an improvement from the ones in the past.  These are 14K gold. Some technology has been invented to make 1 gram of gold into a mesh bracelet.  The results are mesh bracelets.  I've seen them in jewelry stores now.  The stretch out pretty good.  Problem is I bet they stretch out and stay that way.  I haven't purchased one so I don't know.  

Honored Contributor

I think the "shelf life" on these is not very long,so if you purchase to keep for a long time not a good idea.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Frequent Contributor

Very informative and interesting posts.   I used to sell a "home party" brand of jewelry and have a LOT of stretch bracelets.  I thought it was my fault they stretched out because I have them in a jewelry case where the bracelets hang on a peg.  Thank you for the info everyone. 

Super Contributor

Jade is very very hard. It would wear out the elastic faster than any pearls. I would suggest to find a beads shop in your area. There is usually women inside who would fix your bracelet at small fee. 

You can but elastic thread, but in reality, they are all different by diameter, you might end up buying  somethings that does not fit your beads. Plus you will need needles. 

Once you are into beading, the cost of supplies is really not that cheap.

Super Contributor

I like strecth bracelets, and love wearing them in summer. I do restring them. They don't break too often, but they do break. If you really like them, try to figure out of you can do it yourself eventually. It will cost some money, but will save you a headache of going and finding someone to help.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CaChica   I have the same question about a bracelet that broke

a few years ago.  It is from Italy, made with discs of Murano glass alternating with filigree gold beads.

I would like to restring it, but want to use the right materials.

I was going to try to find an instructional video or at least some kind of instructions from Fire Mountain Gems online.

I will be interested if anyone here has some suggestions, to help.

@alice87 @robbn99  

I just read your posts. Thank you for your suggestions.