Regular Contributor

Re: speed queen

[ Edited ]

@VirgoGirl wrote:

I was looking for a new washer where I could control the amount of water needed for a load of clothes. SQ is one of the last ones out there where this is possible so I bought a new washer and dryer this year. So far they are what I expected. They are also manufactured in the US and DO have one of the best warranties.

I had to get a new washer 3 years ago, and I was able to get a GE that allows me to control the water level, and it will also automatically sensor if I want it to conserve.  You can also lift the lid during wash cycle to add more stuff.  Just thought I'd mention it if anyone else is looking around for a new washer.  I really like it.  And my mom ditched her Kenmore after just a few years and got a GE also.  But I don't know how much longer that will be a feature.  I think it's becoming harder and harder for the manufacturers to get away with those features. 

Honestly, I don't mind the lower water usage - I pay a lot for water and sewer.  And I think front loaders do an excellent job of cleaning with just a little bit of water while also being gentler on your clothes.  I don't, however, like the mold issues that happen with the front loaders.  Glad to be back with the freshness of the top loader, even though the amount of lint in my lint screen has doubled.

Respected Contributor

I find just the opposite. The new washers DON'T conserve water, because they don't get the clothes clean. So, I have to wash everything on the Heavy Duty setting- much longer cycle, more electricity used, more water, And, I have to wash many things twice, + use the Rinse cycle. The gentle tossing of clothes doesn't get them clean, either. The water conservation SCAM is a joke in every way. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Pooky1, I also had never seen or heard anyone mention Speed Queen in their advertising until recently.  I guess the brand has a nice following now. 

A few years ago when we bought our washer, I had to search out the one local hardware store that sold the brand.  No regrets.

Esteemed Contributor

@kitcat51, I don't have any information on what features will be gone with the new rules. 

I do know that at least with my dial model, AWN432..., I was able to tweak the water level myself, inside the back cover, with a screwdriver.  While it filled up probably 2/3 to 3/4 full from the factory, I didn't consider that quite enough water to thoroughly wash large quilts and comforters, so I adjusted the water level and it now fills up completely. 

I said all of that because I wonder if anyone in the know might be able to confirm whether or not that small DIY adjustment to any future dial models will still be possible. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just got a Maytag no agitator washer and I was so looking forward to the no agitator, but not the water saver aspect.  Anyway, I hate my new washer - wish I had spent the extra money for a Speed Queen and I didn't know they were available locally.  I did find they are sold in one of our local stores.  Oh well.  I did hear the EPA is requiring all water saving Jan 18 so it is probably true that Speed Queen will be changing - too bad.  The EPA needs to be the one doing the washing!

As far as the no agitator, I wanted that because my previous GE agitator was leaving agitator marks in my clothes, but I found the no agitator actually does have a very short - almost just a knob - agitator and that is even worse.  It twists the clothes and tangles them together leaves worse agitator marks.  Have even had to unknot some items that tangled together.  Somehow it even unsnaps my bras.  I watched a washer cycle and was dismayed to see how the clothes are treated during the cycle.

Then we have front loaders with the mold issue and not for us with bad backs taking out wet clothes.

I want a washer that does not save water so I can select the amount of water myself based on low, medium or large loads and something that doesn't leave marks in clothes.  I want our old models back!  I had a GE prior to the one I just got rid of and I had it for 22 years.  Did a great job of cleaning clothes.  I miss it. 

Respected Contributor

@SHOPR Thanks for the info, didn't know it was possible to adjust & I'll have to look into that. I'm confused because I thought the dail models ending was a done deal, at one time there was a notice on the Speed Queen website saying something about that but couldn't find it today so called. The authorized dealer  in my area said it's ending but is it? Only know for sure change is coming at SQ,  just wish I knew the details. Thanks again for taking the time to answer.

Respected Contributor

on this blog is how i hurd about them.

Esteemed Contributor

@kitcat51, I doubt a dealer would approve of the adjustment I mentioned, and I suppose it might void any warranty, but it's harmless.  It would be interesting, though, if anyone finds out for sure what options will be available going forward, if they will post information here.  Options such as manual/dial vs electronic controls, water levels and the ability to tweak them, etc. 

FYI if anyone is interested, Google speed queen water level adjustment for videos and instructions.  

There is also a way to drill out the tiny hot water inlet to allow warm water setting to be truly warm instead of tepid, but I haven't done that yet.  

Honored Contributor

I had never heard of SQ until I heard about it on this forum.

I bought the manual/dial washer and dryer this year.

I'm still in the honeymoon phase ;o)

I'm enjoying the pre-soak cycle as well as the mini-load for when I just have one thing to wash.

There is also an eco setting, but I haven't used that yet.

The tubs for the washer and dryer are huge.  I am doing my regular load of sheets that I always did and it barely filled half the tub.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Speed Queen is usually associated with commercial laundrys. I had maytag and whirlpool for a few years and they gave me nothing but trouble.

Last year I replaced both washer and dryer with SpeedQueen. 

LOVE THEM BOTH!

They're work horses and not any larger in size than any other washer and dryer. In fact the drum is larger in the washer and I'm perfectly happy with the dryer.

Speed Queen makes appliances for commercial use, hotel, laundry mats, etc. they're made for abuse!!

If you're in the market for new washer and dryer, go for Speed Queen.

In my small town I purchased through an appliance shop, and I spent a bit more for SQ. 

I have full confidence with Speed Queen.

I know this sounds a bit over the top, but, I had nothing but problems for 15 years with Maytag and Whirlpool.

Yea Speed Queen!!!!