Valued Contributor

Why can't I use extension cord with hair appliances?

I've noticed that the last two electric hair appliances I've purchased state in their manuals to not use extension cords. Unfortunately, the cord to one of these tools isn't quite long enough to reach the outlet that I need to plug it into. Without an extension cord, I won't be able to use this. Could any of you electricians out there please let me know why not? And would using a power strip be a no-no as well? Thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why can't I use extension cord with hair appliances?

That's weird...I'd like to know too.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Respected Contributor

I'm not an electrician either, but it seems risky to me.

Honored Contributor

Go to the hardware store, and get an extension cord for appliance or tool use.......they are a round cord, and have only one outlet on the end. They are heavy duty......and I even use one for my electric iron.....power drill, etc.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Just asked my dh and he says it draws in too many amps. Could cause a fire.

"Pure Michigan"
Frequent Contributor

If you get the right extension cord you can do it. Amp ratings say everything. Otherwise your risk tripping your circuit breakers at best, melt down and fire at worst.

Esteemed Contributor

My DH (electronics engineer) said that because the extension cord is probably not heavy enough gauge to handle the power that it needs.

Trusted Contributor

A lot of extension cords aren't rated to carry the current required by heated appliances. They could overheat. Like someone else said, if you need an extension cord go to the hardware or big box builders' store and find a heavy duty cord rated for such use.

Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone. I'll check with our local hardware store as to exactly what type of extension cord is needed. Since we own a lot of them, chances are that we may very well already have the right one.