Honored Contributor

I have the color picked out for the cabinets I wanted to have painted, the designer at Sherwin Williams helped me.

Everyday white/cupboards and Realist Beige/walls.

Both colors look nice with the fireplace in the family room.

I just have to decide if I really want to paint the barn sided walls.

The cabinet painter told me he would contact me on Labor Day to set up an in home appointment...he did not, so I contacted him, with just 'following up'... he did reply right away that he had the flu and said he would get back with me in a few days...fast forward to today....I have not heard from him!  

Now I need to decide to just forget the project or contact him again for the consultation.  I don't want to cut my nose off to spite my face but why can't he get back with me!!!.

I live in a small area, the company I originally contacted (nearest large city) will not come to my area, to far, they recommended the person I have been dealing with.  He has good recommendations and has been in business for quite some time....as a business owner for 40 years, my husband and I would never let a customer fall thru the cracks like he has done to me.

Just venting, but also a bit put out!

Respected Contributor

If you can, check with the folks for whom he did work.  Was this typical behavior on his part ?

How old is he ?  Could he now be in bad health ?

I have gotten to a place where if a person shows / tells you who they are by their behavior, I believe them and make my choices from that point on.

Ask around....folks may give you other names unknown by the Sherwin William rep.

Since the kitchen is a key area in a house, I would not rely on this fellow unless living in an unfinished project for weeks at a time is okay by you.  Too, it is adjacent to your family room....another key area.  Don't open yourself up to this frustration.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

I agree with @jlkz 

If you do decide to go with him, I'd be hesitant to pay anything upfront 

Honored Contributor

@scatcat @jlkz 

The whole issue is so frustrating...like you mentioned I am now leary of him, he has been in business 25+ years.  

He gave me three references, I called one and they would not reply, probably thought the call was spam, but I was very upfront about why I was calling when I left a message.

I will call the other number later.

I was anxious to do this project, my cupboards are in decent shape, they just need updated as they are 40+ years old, and I know I will live out my life in this house.

When you do not live in a large city or at least close by it makes it more difficult to get this type of project done.

thanks,

Honored Contributor

I would encourage you to make one more appointment with him. If he was recommended (and the other place won't come out by you) maybe he gets super busy. However, if you go with him, I'd want specific dates and times when he'd be at your house.

Respected Contributor

Re: Update kitchen cabinets

[ Edited ]

I had kitchen cabinets painted in one house I owned but would not do it again. After a few years the newness faded.

A neighbor age 75 just renovated her kitchen designed for age-in-place. Top cabinets that lower; lower drawers instead of cabinets and lots of specialized custom features. Absolutely worth the investment.   

****ETA: I should add that my painters were reliable, skilled, cute and friendly. I fixed one up on a date with a friend and they got married.

Respected Contributor

Be patient. We contacted four contractors to do our exterior. One never responded to our message. Another made an appointment, but stood us up. The third submitted a bid but rescinded it. The fourth whom we engaged for the job did excellent work, and we are very happy with the results.

A painting contractor painted a house down the street. She put a yard sign up while doing the work. The next week she was painting a house across the alley. Since that first house, she has done 5 homes in a two block radius. Everyone is trying to find skilled workers. (So many have gotten older and retired that they have left a void nationwide.)

You will find someone, but do not force the issue and get burned,

Honored Contributor

Painters are famous for being notoriously unreliable.  I used to try to place them in jobs and heard some wild tales from people for whom they'd worked.

This man has shown you who he is.  Believe him.  Can the paint store recommend someone?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3   

Were your cabinets sealed (clear top coat) after being primed and painted?

Honored Contributor

My consultation with Sherwin Williams was virtual.  I could call or stop into the store when I get to that town and ask if they recommend anyone.  

The contractor recommends using S.W. or Benjamin Moore for the paint color but he uses a professional type

factory durable and scratch proof product to put on the cupboards.

....it is not a contractor coming to the house to 'paint' the cupboards.