Honored Contributor

To continue the subject of mixing flooring...

We have carpet in our house everywhere except the "wet" areas - entrances, baths and kitchen. We chose carpet because DH has neuropathy and the hard tile hurts his feet.Our builder only offered those two options - carpet or ceramic tile. Now last summer we bought a new camper and it has vinyl wood plank floors and DH finds they do not hurt his feet to walk on so I would like to remove the carpet in some of the areas of my home and replace with the vinyl wood plank. My house is open concept so everything but the bedrooms and bathrooms are open to view from one area to the other. I would like to remove the carpet in the back entry and hall that runs beside the kitchen so I would have ceramic tile still in the entry way and the kitchen, carpet in the LR/DR area and the wood in the hallway.Is that going to look bad? Is it ok to have 3 different floors in what is essentially one big room ? I really don't want the extreme mess or the expense of taking up any of the ceramic tile. My friend who is a decorator said to pull up all the carpet and replace with hardwood or do nothing - that is not an option. Too expensive and I really like carpet in the LR/DR areas. I want to get rid of the carpet in this back hallway as it is a very high traffic area, the carpet is very light in color and already it is showing signs of being very dirty, despite it has been cleaned a few times in the 4 years we have lived there.Opinions please.

Honored Contributor

Re: To continue the subject of mixing flooring...

The other choice would be to just replace the carpet with something in a darker shade.

Honored Contributor

I don't think it will look bad necessarily.

But I would seriously consider putting the vinyl plank in the kitchen. I don't know for sure, but I think you could put vinyl plank right over your ceramic tile. I would ask a professional. That might be a solution.

Respected Contributor

I have been considering the vinyl plank flooring as well. have heard good things about it.

I would love to put it over my ceramic flooring. is that a option? please post if you find out.

Honored Contributor

On 6/11/2014 kittyloo said:

I have been considering the vinyl plank flooring as well. have heard good things about it.

I would love to put it over my ceramic flooring. is that a option? please post if you find out.

The vinyl plank is not all that thick so I think it would show the grout lines of the ceramic tile.

I really do not want to go through taking up a ceramic tile floor - I went through that once and do not want a repeat. Despite that they hung plastic it was a horrific mess all over our house. Every kitchen cabinet was filled with dust and i had to wash everything in every cabinet. I ran 7 loads in the dishwasher plus hand washed a lot as well. And it also invaded the entire remainder of the house. I swore never again.

Respected Contributor

Walking on vinyl wood plank floors in a camper is probably not the same as in a home with a concrete subfloor and it won't give.

Esteemed Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

On 6/11/2014 happy housewife said:

The other choice would be to just replace the carpet with something in a darker shade.

Darker carpet gets just as dirty as light carpet. It just doesn't show as much!

Honored Contributor

On 6/11/2014 Zhills said:

Home Depot says it can be done.

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-install-vinyl-plank-flooring-over-tile#.U5hgFJUU-ic

did you actually read these instructions - you have to fill in all the grout lines with a material then they have to all be smoothed to a perfect flat even surface before you even start putting in the new floor.Can you say work intensive? Not to mention this would raise the level of your floor higher than the rest of the floors by whatever the depth of the vinyl planks are - probably about 3/8 of an inch. If you are butting this up against another floor the one over the ceramic tile would not match up - height wise.

Super Contributor

Have you considered laminate flooring? The cost is comparable and you can go over the tile with it. Also if you have a good contractor you shouldn't be left with a mess from taking up the tile. My husband is a contractor and never leaves a house like that, he hires a cleaning person if necessary or cleans it himself.