Esteemed Contributor

Re: Things you have tossed out and now regret

On 1/21/2014 tailfeathers said:
On 1/21/2014 GoodStuff said:

I had a beautiful teddy bear when I was a young child in the 1950's and a stuffed toy horse with a blue felt saddle and bridle with silver bells -- and let both of them get away. I think the bear may have been a Steiff, and the stuffed horse was my most beloved toy of all time. I'd give a lot to have my"Nelly-Belle" back! I've also given away a few pieces of very nice fashion or artisan jewelry that I didn't appreciate in my younger years and would love to have now. Also a large vase someone gave me as a wedding gift. I thought it was ugly (it <em>was</em> to my then unschooled eye!) and got rid of it .......and later realized it was very nice American art pottery!

Too bad...want some cheese with that whine?

{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Esteemed Contributor

On 1/19/2014 LexPex said:

My biggest regret were all of my Beatle things.....I had cards, magazines, pins, a Paul doll, alarm clock, hat and more.

I was just married and moving to CA and my Mom was moving from a house to a condo at the same time. We had to get rid of things quickly and in our haste got rid of a lot of stuff. My Mom also got rid of things she was upset about afterwards. Back then there were no pods.

Edited to add......I could not post using the word f l u f f. Would love it if someone could tell me why

If you go to Urban Dictionary dot com and type in that word, with an "er" at the end...I think you'll have your answer. Oddly enough, if you just type in the word itself, with no "er" at the end, it has an innocuous definition...even in the urban dictionary.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Valued Contributor

One thing I wish I hadn't thrown out was an empty heart chocolate box. I was ending the huge project of cleaning out my parents home. It was an unbelievably large home, and the one that I grew up in. My parents had been married for 54 years before my father died.

The box had the year written in pencil, on the bottom. Exactly one month after that Valentine's Day, they were married. They'd only known each other for about 4 months.

I had set it aside to save, but I was so fatigued by the time I was ending the project, I just thought fooey, and pitched it. I wish I still had it.

Valentine's Day was special when I was growing up, because Daddy would always bring my mom a heart shaped box of chocolates, and a little one for me.

Trusted Contributor

I didn't throw them out, my mom did. I had several bags of shoes/clothing packed up in plastic garbage bags so that I could put the the items into storage. My mom thought I wanted to donate the items so she took the bags to work & put them in the ladies room with a sign stating free for the taking. She said that everything was gone by the end of the work day. I was peeved because I still wanted the items.

Honored Contributor

On 1/19/2014 Retired08 said:
On 1/19/2014 BonnieBelle said:

I can't think of anything. I have very few things and only things that I treasure from my kids, grandmother, mother, etc. I would never give those away and if they got stolen or damaged, I would be devastated.

I know what you mean. I have things from my Mother that don't match a thing I have in my house, but, after she died they took on a life of their own. I would never part with them and I keep reminding both of my girls that "This was your grandmothers, you need to always keep this", or "This was your great grandmothers, don't let anything happen to it." I'm not sure that they will want or keep those things, but, while in my care, they will be safe and cherished. I just limit my purchases for myself.

finally was forced to admit to myself that all the stuff I have saved for my kids since it has belonged to their grandmother, etc....is not wanted by any of my kids! I am going to donate it all starting Feb. 1 when my major purge begins...I have had to mentally "let go" of it but I I think I am now ready to pass it on...and donating it may mean someone will see it, love it, and take it home and enjoy.

Esteemed Contributor

I tossed my high school yearbooks & all my original Barbie dolls in 1969 when I married.