Honored Contributor

@sweetee2 wrote:

You mentioned that you want to make drapes. Drapes are a very heavy fabric. No machine unless you by an industrial one is going to work. Other wise, it's all going to depend on what kind of fabric you use. If you are serious you need to by a heavier machine, not one off of TV.  I would call a sewing machine repair shop first. They sometimes have used machines that have be refurbished and you know that they are in good working condition and tell them what you are planning to sew. Good luck.

That's not true, you just don't want a $50-100 machine from Walmart.  

When I did a lot more sewing than I do now, I made everything from drapes to heavy winter jackets and woolen suits, to delicate Christening gowns and Communion dresses on a middle of the line Kenmore.  It was far from an industrial machine and I never had a problem.

Honored Contributor

I had a machine that was my grandmothers (portable Singer) and still use it today when my cousin & I sew when I go home!

As for @sweetee2 stating you need "industrial" style absolutely not...

when I bought this house (3 yrs ago) the owner left a brand new in box Singer machine -- it has over 40 stitching options, etc. -- I made all the valances, drapes & slipcovers for my home with it.

I've always had a regular machine and I've sewed everything with it.  Joanne fabrics is a good place to go to look. The store has a

sewing machine area and the salespeople are very knowledgeable & helpful -- Joanne's rents the space to a company (to my knowledge).  Btw they have ALL styles and I would recommend you get one for your personal needs not what salesperson "thinks" you need and I do know they have financing options.

Honored Contributor

Re: Sewing Machines?

[ Edited ]

If I were you, I would go to garage sales, thrift stores, and Salvation Army and look for a great sewing machine like a Bernina like the 930 pre-computer driven (others who sew can recommend brands) that will be a far far easier and better machine than a cheap new model.  Even e-bay has them.

Machines from the top brands last forever when taken care of and they sew far better, make your sewing far easier, and tackle a lot of fabric types.  Now days the real sewers often trade in machines (might check with the sewing machine stores for this too), or people inherit great machines from the 80's that they don't want.  

CHeck the local newspaper ads and those little free magazines for local sales.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@TropicalLu

The Southern Channel carries them. They had a well known brand name model on Daily Special a while back that was great & priced well. If you are not sure about sewing seriously you might want to first scour thrift shops, pick one out and give it a try before you buy new. When my mom passed I donated hers. It was a great machine with many attachments. Perhaps you could ask the shop keep if he would refund your money within 2-3 days if it doesn't work properly. There's also the option of bringing thread and scraps along to take a test drive right at the store.

Good luck. I miss sewing.

dee

Trusted Contributor

Well, @sweetee2, not to be blunt but you don't know much about home sewing now, huh? A well made machine would have no problem sewing drapes or even slipcovers for that matter. Roman shades, puff ottomans, and many other heavy and or bulky items and fabrics can be sewn on a machine.

My sister once "volunteered" me to make 8 bridesmaid hats using my machine because the bridal store charged  too much money for her liking (LOL). It was a fascinator style that I stretched peau de soie over onto a rigid form, sewing eight of them right up. (NOT) I spread the project out over a couple of weeks. I then adorned them with tulle, feathers, netting etc. They were lovely and drew many complements.

I also sewed a leather skirt for myself back in the day. 

So, you would be surprised what non-commercial sewing machines can tackle. They are workhorses.

dee

Trusted Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@sweetee2 wrote:

You mentioned that you want to make drapes. Drapes are a very heavy fabric. No machine unless you by an industrial one is going to work. Other wise, it's all going to depend on what kind of fabric you use. If you are serious you need to by a heavier machine, not one off of TV.  I would call a sewing machine repair shop first. They sometimes have used machines that have be refurbished and you know that they are in good working condition and tell them what you are planning to sew. Good luck.

That's not true, you just don't want a $50-100 machine from Walmart.  

When I did a lot more sewing than I do now, I made everything from drapes to heavy winter jackets and woolen suits, to delicate Christening gowns and Communion dresses on a middle of the line Kenmore.  It was far from an industrial machine and I never had a problem.

And my additional .02 cents is that for making drapes and duvet covers, have an extra table to hold up the fabric as it feeds through the machine. I too have made drapes and duvet covers on regular machines and having that extra table to assisting holding up the fabric helps immensely.

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

If I were you, I would go to garage sales, thrift stores, and Salvation Army and look for a great sewing machine like a Bernina like the 930 pre-computer driven (others who sew can recommend brands) that will be a far far easier and better machine than a cheap new model.  Even e-bay has them.

@Sooner YES, YES!!! I have one of those!! I still use it and actually prefer it overall to my newer computer-driven Singer.  It cost and arm and a leg back in 1983 but it's still going.

Valued Contributor

I have never made drapes but my mom, rest her soul, made drapes, slip covers, wedding gowns, etc. on an old Singer treadle (sp?) machine.  Of course, she stepped up to a better machine later on but that old Singer really did the job.

I have a Bernina and while they are quite expensive, they hold up very well.  Mom bought it for me in 1994. I'm pretty good at sewing but not like Mom so I really didn't need a computerized machine that does everything but wash the dishes.

If I were you, I would purchase locally.  Many stores give free lessons on using the machine.  Also, if there are any problems or questions, they are right there for you.  Can you imagine having to mail back a sewing machine???  NOT!!! Just my opinion. Good luck in your quest for the right machine for you and enjoy your sewing.  docsgirl

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

You may like this Brother machine from Amazon. Brother 50-Stitch Project Runway Computerized Sewing Machine, CS5055PRW 

Look around online for the best price.

You want to find the service manual and see what attachments come with the machine.

You could even buy a used like new machine from Amazon.

Trusted Contributor

D_2_the_3rd         Ectually I've been "home sewing" for over 50 years. I had my own "home sewing" business for 10 years. For the last 21 years I was men's Tailor at Nordstrom.  So I know what I'm talking about.