Honored Contributor

We were in OHIO last week shopping in some Amish shops. In a favorite fabric store I found a project that I purchased. It is called self quilting. Mine will be a table runner. Basically, you cut your pieces, then you machine baste them together, you then cut your batting and your back, they suggest using fabric glue to adhere the top to the batting instead of pins so it doesn't shift , then you top stitch all the seams where you had basted it right thru all layers, so it holds them together, and it quilts the pieces.Add an edging to finish it and it's done. This will be a small project for me to try it out, it's only about 3 ft long.

I also bought fabric and instructions to make a rag blanket. I am wondering if I should prewash the fabric  before I cut it so when I wash it to make it fringe it doesn't shrink. 

Valued Contributor

To wash or not to wash may be the most frequently asked question in the quilting world.  Unfortunately, I don't know the answer except to say that I have taken some quilting classes in NYC taught by two very well-known quilters who are also published authors.  One said she ALWAYS washed her fabrics before cutting.  The other said she NEVER, EVER washed her fabrics before cutting, and, in fact, she even sprays her fabrics with spray starch/sizing to make them easier to work with.  I guess it's a matter of personal preference or willingness to take the risk with potential shrinkage.

Honored Contributor

I've done many big quilting projects over the years, but now I enjoy the smaller projects like table runners or wall hangings.  I finish them before I get tired of looking at them!

And I always prewash the fabrics to prevent possible bleeding of dark colors onto light when the finished item needs to be washed.  I've never had a problem stitching washed fabrics.  

Honored Contributor

I made a little tote bag last year and hand quilted it. Took me forever. I am just not patient enough to do all thst hand quilting, that's why I thought that table runner was good for me to try.

First though, I must make the blanket as it is a baby present for my cousin's granddaughter who is due the end of Nov. So that is something I need to concentrate on as soon as we get home in October.

Trusted Contributor

I enjoy small quilting projects.  If I could make one suggestion...I would use fusible batting (fused with an iron) instead of fabric glue.  Have fun!

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

We were in OHIO last week shopping in some Amish shops. In a favorite fabric store I found a project that I purchased. It is called self quilting. Mine will be a table runner. Basically, you cut your pieces, then you machine baste them together, you then cut your batting and your back, they suggest using fabric glue to adhere the top to the batting instead of pins so it doesn't shift , then you top stitch all the seams where you had basted it right thru all layers, so it holds them together, and it quilts the pieces.Add an edging to finish it and it's done. This will be a small project for me to try it out, it's only about 3 ft long.

I also bought fabric and instructions to make a rag blanket. I am wondering if I should prewash the fabric  before I cut it so when I wash it to make it fringe it doesn't shrink. 

I don't prewash the fabric.  I did it once and it changes the look and feel, if it's yardage it comes out of the washer and dryer a wrinkled, tangled, frayed mess.

I wash after it's all finished and I always throw in a Shout Color Catcher even if it's all light colors.  With darker colors, I have never had the color run or bleed using one. They're great.

Respected Contributor

First I would love to know what your favorite fabric store is? I'm in Ohio & I love to go to fabric stores.

I prefer to work with unwashed fabrics. I like that finish to work with & I feel like the good quality of fabric that you get at quilt shops probably negates most of the shrinking & color bleeding. It doesn't really seem to be as much as a problem with any fabric, as it used to be.

Listen to me! I sound like I know what I am talking about. I don't. LOL

Good luck with your project. It will be beautiful.

Honored Contributor

It it's in Charm, Ohio, in Holmes County and it's called Millers Quilt shop. It's actually a few shops together. They don't sell quilts just fabrics etc.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 - To wash or not to wash, the great debate! I do not wash my fabrics. My quilts get washed when they are totally finished (unless they are gifts). I wash them in cooll water, toss in a Shout Color Catcher, delicate cycle. Then I air dry them.

If I am giving as a gift, in a zip loc bag I include several pieces of the fabric used (for future patches), washing instructions and a Shout Color Catcher.

When used as wall hangings I usually don't wash.

BTW - instead of fabric glue, you can use a fabric spray adhesive the "baste" when sandwiching your top to your backing.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 - I forgot to add, if using precuts or cutting from a 1 yard piece, spray starch the fabric, let it dry well then press before cutting. The fabric will be easier to work with and you will have less fraying. Hope this helps