Honored Contributor

Re: Patterned Paint Rollers! A blast from the past!

I had some but they came out later then the 1960's.

They should come out with some nice designs that would work today.

I would rather use one of those that I could paint over the walls when I got tired of it rather then stripping off wallpaper.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

I would rather use one of those that I could paint over the walls when I got tired of it rather then stripping off wallpaper.

Stripping modern wallpaper is easy.  You just grab a top corner and peel down.  They have a type that leaves a liner behind so you can put new wall paper on again, or the kind that completely strips off to the bare wall.  it’s best to paper over semigloss  r gloss wall paint and not a matte flat finish paint.

I remember stripping paper off the ceiling and walls of my first house.  Some walls had seven layers all on top of one another.  I worked on it every day for months.  That house was big with five bedrooms.  I’d never want to do that again.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

Stripping modern wallpaper is easy.  You just grab a top corner and peel down.  They have a type that leaves a liner behind so you can put new wall paper on again, or the kind that completely strips off to the bare wall.  

Yeah, but what do you do if you want to remove that liner so you can paint?  Nightmare.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

Stripping modern wallpaper is easy.  You just grab a top corner and peel down.  They have a type that leaves a liner behind so you can put new wall paper on again, or the kind that completely strips off to the bare wall.  

Yeah, but what do you do if you want to remove that liner so you can paint?  Nightmare.

I had that type of paper in my powder room.  I won’t lie and say it was super easy, but it wasn’t so bad.

i just sprayed the wall paper lining with warm vinegar water and left it sit for about 30 minutes and scraped it off.  All but in a few places came off easily.    I had to work it off in a small spot above the door.  And I had to wash down the walls pretty good afterward.

it was still easier to remove than that old paper with wheat paste.

Trusted Contributor

I went through the stencil phase in my last house.  I have no doubt I'd smear the paint with one of these rollers, LOL!

Now I just want plain painted walls!

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

I've done my share of removing and putting up wallpaper.  Both tasks are painstaking, but I'd rather put it up than take it down.

I remember when my dad painted over the paint roller designs. He was not happy with how many coats of paint it took to cover it... the roller design kept reappearing each time he thought he was done.  Not fun, though I know there are better primer options now than there were in the 60s and 70s, so that might make it easier.

~ house cat ~