Honored Contributor

Homeworthy did a fun compilation of different peoples' china closets, very swoon-worthy!   I'm one of those who doesn't collect a lot of dinnerware, don't have room for it, but I LOVE to look, as a spectator.

Have you noticed that people who love it, tend to be very, very passionate about table ware?   All of these people were, and it made their tours so entertaining--

Paola Fendi ( of the famous Roman Fendi family and their fabulous company) lives in an art-filled apartment in New York.

Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 12.19.49 PM.png

She has unusual Murano glass goblets....

Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 11.49.24 AM.png

Which she mixes with both antique and new.. I think she said the china here is Ginori--  love the way she combined colors and elements--

Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 11.49.01 AM.png

This thread is about table ware, but I couldn't help noticing that her whole apartment is an interesting mix of traditional and modern...

Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 12.21.12 PM.png

This gent, Philip, is an art consultant who lives in a lovely, horsey part of New Jersey.  His collections were eye-popping.  Here's one of his favorite centuries-old English candlesticks, with chasing that he says, glistens in candlelight at the table....

Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 11.59.11 AM.png

He happily lives very formally, which I wouldn't be able to stand, yet it's very picturesque!  Even his kitchen table is beautifully set with faience, and amethyst glassware...  Really like his sprightly Italian chairs, and that beautiful French soup tureen...

Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 12.00.30 PM.png

He says the neighborhood has all kinds of birds, pheasants and wildlife, so some of his antique glassware has stags engraved on it, and he has little silver birds at table too....

Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 1.04.28 PM.png

I always like to see Alex Papachristidis' collections.   His small aubergine colored dining room is quite the setting for them...  

Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 1.07.40 PM.png

He's lucky, in that he seems to have lots of storage in his New York apartment for so many rare, exquisite things....

Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 1.08.45 PM.png

Loads of hand-painted china, and oh, he's also fanatical about linens, tablecloths and placemats...

Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 1.06.25 PM.png

Yet he doesn't hesitate to go modern, when it's handsomely designed and practical, like this huge all-purpose glass by the late, great William Yeoward....

Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 12.03.31 PM.png

Marie Daage is a mogul of enviable hand-painted ceramics, so she has a lot to work with in her Paris apartment dining room...

Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 12.15.56 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 12.06.00 PM.png

She even has different sets of chairs to swap in and out...

Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 12.06.52 PM.png

Her love of table ware extends to the other ceramic items she makes, like these handsome ginger jars and decorative plates on the wall...

Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 12.16.16 PM.png

The presence of little birds, lit only by tea lights, is always a plus!   Boy, I love the paint color in her dining room too....

Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 12.15.10 PM.png

All of these people were as excited as kids playing with their favorite toys!

There was so much more.  The video will come up if you search:

INSIDE CHINA CLOSETS  China collections, Flatware, Table Decor and More

Respected Contributor

Re: OUT OF THE CHINA CABINET

@Oznell, I wonder if any of these sophisticated folks have an actual china cabinet? I'm thinking their collections might far exceed the space of one!

If they do, I'd love to see it.

My own china cabinet has sort of morphed into a memento curio cabinet. Heart

Muddling through...
Respected Contributor

That Paris apartment is just exquisite.

I love every element; the decor is beautiful and agree with you that the paint color is perfect.

Another wonderful post @Oznell thank you!

Trusted Contributor

Beautiful collections, all with their own flavors and drama.

Loved it all.  Thanks for the post @Oznell 

Honored Contributor

Ha, most of them did have china cabinets, @sabatini .  The camera moved so fast, frustratingly, I had a hard time getting good "stills" of their contents.

Here are a few overflow images I caught--

Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 2.49.36 PM.png

I love the birds and the blue, majolica-looking pitcher--

Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 2.47.00 PM.png

My own cabinet, like yours, has also turned partly into a curio cabinet!  Glass fronted, in the living room, so I have some pretties in it like some sage jasperware, vintage miniature Italian paintings, etc.   But I also stacked some of my good china in there, a few plates, soup bowls, and teacups and saucers, casually turned on the side.  They're a discontinued Wedgwood pattern, and I like to look at them when I pass by.... 

And the rest of her apartment lives up to that dining room, @DSD2 --  glorious!

@Pezzie --  "their own flavors and drama"--  what a great description of the effects of these tableware goodies! 

Respected Contributor

@Oznell , now that's what I'm talkin' about! I'd love to poke around inside those cabinets. That's my idea of a good time.

Like yours, my cabinet is also in the living room. On occasion, I like to put the light on at night, just to admire it all. I'm sure that yours contains special memories too.

Muddling through...
Respected Contributor

@Marsha2003, just beautiful!! 🤩
Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

Completely on the same page, @sabatini --  I like to turn the light on in mine, according to whim, because it is a magical little world of memories in there!   I don't have it packed to the gills--  I like the individual pieces to stand out-- but each is so important to me.   Occasionally rotate some things in and out, so that it's never too crowded....

@Marsha2003 ,  trust you to have such a gorgeous dining room setting!  The combo of your wallpaper and your Herend china is perfect-- both have an "enchanted forest" feeling.  Love the peacocks!   Would you mind sharing the name of your wallpaper?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell Rifle Paper Co. Peacock   Interestingly, Target came out with a whole Rifle Paper Co. collaboration the day before my wallpaper was to be installed.  They offer items in the same pattern although the colors are slightly different.

@Oznell and @sabatini , thank you for your kind words.

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell I'm one of those people who love china and crystal. These were lovely collections & beautiful apartments.

I was laughing at the fact that one of them has room for different chairs depending on the setting.  I had a full dining room set when I was married but after my divorce and before my last move, I sold it to a friend who had a family and needed it when I didn't.  

thanks for sharing these @Oznell it's always wonderful to see.