Honored Contributor

ORECK AirVantage with Hepa Filter and Odor Absorber

I just purchased this model and it arrived a few days ago.  It seems to be pretty good so far, pushes a LOT of air through the machine, which is what is needed.  It's not Whisper Quiet even on the low setting, but I'm used to having one of these machines going so that's not an issue for me.

However, I can't find any replacement filters~!  None are on QVC (right now).  There aren't any on the Oreck Website, I even used the specific search words on the Internet hoping maybe Amazon would show some for sale.  No.  I called QVC and the CS rep was surprised, looked and said no, at least not right now.  I called Oreck and the CS rep said the filters WILL be sold by QVC only and will eventually be there!  Even though Oreck has this model on their website right now!

So.... I can give it a little time waiting to see if the Q actually does get these filters in.... before I send the item back before the 30 days are up~!  I will NOT keep a product in which it is a pain in the neck to get replacements for.... or I have to rush to try and be one of the lucky ones to get a replacement before they are all sold out... again.  You see, this isn't the first time this has happened to me.  I bought a ROCKET GRILL off QVC, being told that they would always carry the replacement bags.  Nope... four weeks after I purchased mine, QVC stopped carrying the bags!!

This is absolutely unsatisfactory IMHO....  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Re: ORECK AirVantage with Hepa Filter and Odor Absorber

Sorry this advice is a little late, but as the owner of several air filters over the years, I've learned to always check for filter availability and cost BEFORE I buy an air filter. You can wind up spending $150 on an air filter and then find out you also need to spend $200 on filters every year.

Some air filters are really expensive or need multiple parts (a carbon pre-filter AND a HEPA filter). Even then, filters can be hard to find or get discontinued.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I recall the question of filters and how long they last came up during one of the presentations. The vendor said it would last around six months, saying "you won't have to replace the filter until 2016!" I bought two of the units. Mine came with an extra black filter, but I assume you are talking about the other, bigger white filter. I'm sure they will be made available when you need them. Oreck is a good brand and I have had many of their products. Don't think there is anything to worry about.

You are correct, though, about the sound. I did not find it to be "whisper quiet" on the lowest level, as they stated on TV. But I don't mind. At least it doesn't rattle or roar. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

You are right,  I neglected to check on the status of the filters or how much they would cost.  I've always had washable filters so it didn't occur to me.  The big filter is the HEPA and the thin black one is for odors.  I agree that Oreck is a decent company (and so is the Q for that matter) but I will NOT keep it if I can't find a source for filters before the 30 days are over.    

Today I've called Oreck themselves and was told specifically that they are NOT going to carry the filters, only QVC.  Which is strange because they have the unit on their website!!  I asked if they had any idea when the filter would be available!  Nope... (again, very strange since they carry the unit on their website).  How do THEY plan to supply the units purchased from them??  Unless I was given either 1) wrong info, or 2) was fibbed to.   

I called QVC, whose customer service went out of their way to try to find the answer to this (she was actually shocked it wasn't on line when the product went out for sale ).... All I wanted to know is if they had any idea when they would be available.  

I've again scoured the Internet hoping one would show up somewhere (the Q rep said to try Amazon!)....  no, Amazon does not have them.  Personally... I'm guessing at this, but I don't think they are even manufactured yet~!

I'm not especially worried about this, I just find it absurd to sell a product that you can't immediately buy a replacement filter.  I find this missing info from the videos to be something I would have used to assess whether to buy it or not (I would not have purchased).  To leave the info out of the demonstration (as a matter of fact the rep said the filters are available)...  is not right.

I'll keep checking the Q for the filters.... if it's a matter of days or just a week or two then no problem.  If not, it's going back..... Woman Sad

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

Are u aware that Oreck went bankrupt in 2013 and is now owned by Royal Appliance Mfg Co.????? Obviously, QVC is allowed to sell their products -- but customers can't buy parts from the company. QVC does this with many other products, namely Fuller Brush. I'd return.