Trusted Contributor

I'm seriously considering ordering the Tempurpedic big deal mattress while it's still available but I'm wondering if anyone has done a return on one of these bed in a box mattresses before? How do they handle it?

I've put off buying even though I really need one because I fear getting into a cycle where I don't like what I purchased but I need to might the bullet and this one looks like it might be a good fit for me. Just don't want to make a very pricey purchase and then have drama if I hate it.

Honored Contributor

For me, a mattress is an item I would only shop for and buy locally in the event I need to return/exchange it.  

Honored Contributor

In addition, I need to test it out first at the mattress store.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

I once purchased a mattress that I had to return. I bought it in one of those mattress stores that happen to be in my area. I did not even have to take it off the bed. They came the next day and removed it. I would hesitate to buy a mattress any other way.

Honored Contributor

I'd need to lie on a mattress a couple hours before knowing if it would give me a backache.  How long can you linger before they call you a vagrant and throw you out?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

My problem with buying it in a store is that I'll probably end up in the same predicament and that's why I keep putting it off. Just shopping for pillows turned into a nightmare. Thought I found the ones and then a week later they didn't work. I figure a little time in a store isn't really going to tell me much beyond it feels good for a few minutes.

I know someone that had the greatest mattress but I think that bad boy is over 2 thousand dollars and that just isn't happening.

I have to get something fixed on my car so maybe I should just deal with whatever that shocking price will be instead. Smiley LOL

Respected Contributor

I would only purchase a mattress locally that I have tried out. How would you get a mattress back into a box if you needed to return it? What would shipping charges back be? No thanks!

Honored Contributor

Don't buy the mattress if you think you may need to return it. I'm the kind of shopper who rarely returns anything, so I took a chance on one of those compressed mattresses. Our BeautyRest was eight years old, and it had started to sag. The one I brought online could be flipped - it had a softer and firmer side so I figured that increased the odds of us liking it. We are both happy with the new mattress (softer side was what we liked the best).

Honored Contributor

I have to lie down on a mattress before I buy it. A lot of furniture stores sell tempur-pedic so you might want to try them before buying.

Shop around. I have found that furniture, mattresses, and a whole host of products sold on Q are less expensive elsewhere. 

Honored Contributor

Most of the bed-in-a-box mattress companies and sellers have "return partners" who will pick up an unwanted mattress if you're unhappy with it. They all have conditions attached though. The mattress needs to be unstained, have the "don't remove under penalty of law" tag still on it, and show no wear. A few charge a fee to return a mattress. Most of the returned mattresses get donated to shelters (homeless, abused women, etc.) of various types for reuse. Those charities are often the "return partner" so don't be shocked if the van/truck that shows up to collect an unwanted mattress is from a charity and those picking it up are either shelter employees or shelter occupants.

By donating the used mattresses in good condition the mattress maker/retailer gets to write off the cost. The charity receiving the mattress provides the labor and transportation, so no extra cost there to the seller/maker. And the shelter gets an essentially free mattress. And no company will let you return multiple mattresses. It's typically just one or two you're allowed to return before they say "No more!" 

My current mattress is a bed-in-a-box mattress and it's been great. I'm not mattress-picky and can sleep on just about anything, so there wasn't a huge risk for me in buying one. Mine was said to be a medium firm, but is really more of a plush, but that's fine with me. I've been using it for almost a year and it's still like new. 

There's relatively little risk in buying a bed-in-a-box. If you're a picky mattress shopper you're still probably better off going to a furniture/mattress specialty retailer, but if you're less picky a bed-in-a-box is often your best option.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!