Honored Contributor

Re: MYSTERY CONDO IN CALIFORNIA

Living in California my whole life, there is no way I could live in a high rise.  Would be scared to death because of earthquakes.  That aside, this condo has great views and terrace.  Not my decorating style though. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Amazing view and the condo is beautiful.  However I would not feel comfortable living in a high rise like that.  I prefer being close to the ground.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell wrote:

@MJDinVegas ,  ha, that was my first thought-- earthquakes!   Wonder what the building codes are on these buildings.  And this particular condo is on the 27th floor!   Still, a lot of interesting history packed in a place like that...

@Oznell 

I can answer that for you.   In the early 1990s, I bought a condo on the 19th floor on Wilshire Blvd. in Westwood CA.   Obviously, during the house hunting phase, earthquakes were a prime concern. 

Before making the offer on my first choice, I asked a friend to check it out.  He was a highly qualified inspector of sprinkler systems and other construction necessary for highrise buildings, both commercial and residential.    

As luck would have it, he knew the building AND the brothers who built it.   They were what he called "high rollers" in the construction industry, and they never skimped on quality.  There are a lot of special considerations when building a highrise that would have to be able to "sway" with earth tremors and they spent the money.

There were 6 units per floor and I had one of the center units.

David qualified his approval by telling me if LA ever had a 10 earthquake, EVERYONE is dead.  However, if it was a lesser quake, I would be living in one of the safest highrises in Los Angeles.   I bought the condo.

Fast forward a couple years, and we have the 1993 Northridge Quake.   The damage was unbelievable, and probably worst in buildings of 6 stories or less.  Google it for pics if you don't recall it.

I was at home and my building swayed for an hour.  My chandelier in the dining room swayed for quite a while,too.  I had a glass of water on a coaster on my nightstand, and it slid two inches.  Nothing broke.  The only other noticeable result was every single cabinet door in my kitchen was open ... but no breakage, and nothing fell out of the cabinets.

I loved that condo, but someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse, so .... I sold it.  

Honored Contributor

Whoa, @Tinkrbl44 ,  that is dramatic!  I do remember the Northridge quake.  I'm always interested in southern California, as part of my family is from there-- and my cousin still lives in Lake Forest.  That's incredible that your condo fared so well in the earthquake.  Thanks so much for the inside skinny on the building of such apparently sound structures-- fascinating.  I can well imagine that you miss your high rise perch in the sky.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Whoa, @Tinkrbl44 ,  that is dramatic!  I do remember the Northridge quake.  I'm always interested in southern California, as part of my family is from there-- and my cousin still lives in Lake Forest.  That's incredible that your condo fared so well in the earthquake.  Thanks so much for the inside skinny on the building of such apparently sound structures-- fascinating.  I can well imagine that you miss your high rise perch in the sky.

@Oznell 

I can give you one more dramatic experience.  One weekend afternoon I'm on my terrace watering flowers.  Everything is pretty quiet, beautiful day.  Suddenly I hear what's like a loud explosion and from around the corner of the building, flying VERY low are eight enormous olive green military helicopters darting between the other highrise buildings.  Couldn't make sense of it.  It almost looked like an invasion or something!

Two hours later, it was announced on the news that Ronald Reagan had died.   We realized that those choppers had flown low to his home in Bel Air to pick up his body.   

Living in a highrise gives you such a different vantage point.  Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

I really like this.The Terrace is magnificent. 

I like grays and wood together. I don't find it too masculine at all. 

Honored Contributor

What a cool story, @Tinkrbl44 -- that must have been such a shock!

I always like your eye for detail, @DREAMON --  cool gray combined with the honeyed warmth of wood is indeed striking,  somehow both 'old school' and yet also modern... 

Esteemed Contributor

The condo is beautiful and, as others have mentioned, I love the terrace.  The decor is not for me so I'd furnish it much differently.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

The view is magnificent!!!! The decor is not my style really, but love the view and the terrace....I would never live in a high rise though-feawr of heights for me.....