Respected Contributor

Looking for opinions on a kitchen sink>

When we remodeled our kitchen eight years ago I chose a large single sink.   I've been pretty happy with it, but now I am getting tired of it and thinking of making a change.

My husband has told me to choose whatever new style I want and he will install a new sink.  

I do not want a twin bowl sink.  I've had them before and never cared for how small each side was.   I've been thinking about the 60/40 sinks.  

For those of you who have this style are you happy with it?    Are you able to wash most cookie sheets and medium sized pans and skillets in the larger side?   There's just my husband and I and we do not entertain much so I don't really have many very large cookware items.

I have a dishwasher but I do not put any of my cookware in it.   I always hand-wash those items.  

At this time my sink is porcelain but I have been thinking about going with a stainless steel sink this time around.  For those of you who have stainless steel sinks do you like them?   I know that they water spot but other than that do you find any problems with them?

Thanks in advance for your input.  

Trusted Contributor

Re: Looking for opinions on a kitchen sink>

I'm  not sure, but mine might be more of  70-30. The large side can fit my cookie sheet that is 12x17

Trusted Contributor

And love it. The disposal in the small side and the dishwasher is on the large side. I've had mine probably 30 years and I'll never go back. 

Respected Contributor

I let my DH talk me into a divided sink when we upgraded the kitchen two years ago.  We took out the twin stainless bowls and had installed an undermount Blanco Silgranite 1-to-3/4 sink.  The larger side is large enough to lay a jelly roll pan flat inside the deep bowl.  In spite of originally thinking I wanted a single bowl, I have been nothing but pleased with this sink.  I'd choose it again without hesitation.

BLANCO DIAMOND™ 1-3/4 BOWL

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

@J Town Girl

If you do stainless, do not shop for a "cheap" one.  The thickness and quality of the stainless varies a lot.  I would suggest you look at stainless steel sinks from a kitchen remodeler and from your local home improvement store.

You will notice quite a difference and I don't mean you should pay top dollar for a sink but looking, asking questions and finding out what's best for you.

If you use your kitchen a lot, I would suggest a "better" one.

I have a Corian sink and do not like it at all.  It stains and although you can sand it etc.  it's very hard to keep up.  I will replace with a stainless.

Respected Contributor

I just got a new kitchen sink last year and I love it!! It is hammered copper and it is one large sink. I can fit cookie sheets in it very easily and still have plenty of room left. Also giant pots fit in it with no problem. It is gorgeous and easy to keep. I had double stainless steel sinks and I did not like them at all. Way to shallow and to small to fit cookie sheets or large pots in. The water spots that were constantly on them drove me nuts. I was constantly having to wipe and dry them each time they were used for anything.

Honored Contributor

I have a double bowl stainless steel sink and it is original to this house, built in 1973. I know there are much 'prettier' sinks and materials, but in my opinion, they don't hold up well, and have to be babied too much. In the long haul, stainless will look better and take more abuse without showing it.

Mine are of equal size, and I can fit a 9x13 sitting down in either side. It has never mattered to me to get anything bigger in, as I tend to simply stand a bigger pan or tray in and clean it right away. I don't soak anything metal or ceramic down in the sink but if needed, fill it with soap and hot water and sit it on the counter to soak. 

I have wondered if new sinks are made as well as ones that are as old as mine, or if they will hold up as well as these have. I have considered that if I do update the kitchen (and oh how I need/want to), I might keep my sinks if I find the newer ones to be lesser quality.

Super Contributor

I have had a quality stainless steel sink for decades and in 3 houses.  Everytime we have moved, I get the same sink installed.  It is larger on the left side, and both sides are extra deep.  I have a high faucet and can fill and/or clean my 30 quart pot in it.  I have done a lot of cooking and serving for large groups and have never complained about the sink.

I am spoiled and will never have anything else.  My husband likes this sink as well   Neither one of us want anything else.

No matter what sink you choose, I hope you are as happy with your choice as we are with ours.

Valued Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

I let my DH talk me into a divided sink when we upgraded the kitchen two years ago.  We took out the twin stainless bowls and had installed an undermount Blanco Silgranite 1-to-3/4 sink.  The larger side is large enough to lay a jelly roll pan flat inside the deep bowl.  In spite of originally thinking I wanted a single bowl, I have been nothing but pleased with this sink.  I'd choose it again without hesitation.

BLANCO DIAMOND™ 1-3/4 BOWL

I have this identical sink!  And I too would choose it again.  Love it.

No thought is worth thinking.....
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My kitchen has 2 parts to it, but in the basement at holiday time, I can clean the large ones (pans etc.) in the tubs downstairs. Big kitchen items clean great in large sinks.