Esteemed Contributor

i have a wierd but well-loved kitchen, with a suite of "bisque" appliances.  They work in the setting perfectly.

I find stainless a little cold, but that's just me.  I can also see how it sharpens a look.  I'm drawn to the idea of a little mixing and matching, just depending on where the stuff is located in the kitchen.  I had a bisque fridge and range and a black dishwasher, and it was fine - the DW blended in.  When I replaced it I went bisque because yes, that may be hard to find anymore (until it comes back).

Do what suits you and what you can live with and love.  I'm also not fond of granite, but again, that's me.  My house is an archived revival  from the last century and by the time it gets updated it will probably either be razed and re-done or completely gutted.  I'm planning on being in the grave for that one.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

@hovis wrote:

I haven't even picked out my cabinets yet. 
And the walls are white. 

Go with stainless.

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure what type of ss we have, but we do have hard water and I've not found the ss to be any more of a problem than anything else.  For a sink, my recommendtion is buy a really good one.  For me, the weight and the sound deadening in the better ones turned out to be a really good thing when I'm working.

I would never have thought much about it except my mom bought a really thin and cheap sink and it was a mess and anything in you put in it made a lot of noise.  A good and deeper sink has made life in the kitchen more pleasant.  It was worth the splurge. 

Honored Contributor

My advice, for what it is worth! LOL is to choose the cabinets before you make a final appliance choice. 

I'm getting things picked out for my kitchen remodel right now, and the last sticking point for me is the appliances. The color/style of them are very important in my opinion, and should reflect the overall kitchen design as well as color palate. 

It seems 'they' (designers) all think stainless appliances can go anywhere, and the same with white. It just isn't so, in my opinion. Certain colors of cabinets, certain styles of kitchen decor (modern, traditional, craftsman, rustic, country etc.) require different styles and colors of appliances to have a really completed and cohesive look.

My approach, has been to choose the counters, cabinets and floors first, then appliance color/style last. I feel the emphasis on what I see in a kitchen is in the cabinets, counters and floors first, but the appliances while last in what I notice, are definitely important enough to warrant a great deal of thought, and for me at least, need to coordinate well with the style and the color scheme of the rest of the room.

Honored Contributor

Personally, you should buy what you like and what will go with your decor.   

I think stainless goes with everything.   That’s just my opinion.  White is my second choice.  

The most important issue for me is that all the appliances are the same finish 

Honored Contributor

Personally, I like SS.  I don't think the maintenance is a big deal.  SS now comes in different shades, different finishes, and even a "low smudge" option.  I have had SS for many, many years and it would continue to be my choice in the future.

I really don't care for white.  I have never seen the grey some posters have mentioned but I am certain it would be preferable to white.

However, it is YOUR kitchen and you should get what makes you happy. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: Kitchen Appliances

[ Edited ]

We have stainless steel appliances and I love them. They are not cold and I have no problem with fingerprints or marks. I feel they give my kitchen a fresh look.

I am not a fan of white and would choose any color over this one.

Esteemed Contributor

Buying an usual color may come back to haunt in replacement time,  sometimes the production run is limited.  Anyone here remember harvest gold or olive green bathroom fixtures?  LM

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Stainless can be such a chore! If I had to do it over I would not do stainless. Also the stainless that is made to not show finger prints looks so fake. 

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

We too prefer the stainless steel for kitchen usage instead of using white ones as they go out fast. The one, commercial kitchen equipment store, sells good stuff.