Respected Contributor

Re: How often do you paint the inside of your house?

We have been in this house 15 years - we bought it new.  Last year we had a painter paint all the rooms - ceilings, walls, woodwork - 2 coats. He requested we select colors from Sherwin Williams top of the line or Behrs top of the line ((Behrs is Home Depot).

Honored Contributor

We must be the exception to the rule, we paint every 4-5 years - 6 at the most.

Honored Contributor

We bought this house 22 years ago and at that time completely painted and/or papered every room in it.

We used an (at the time anyway) top of the line Sherwin Williams enamel paint (we were told that the house was old enough that it probably needed the enamel as that is what was most likely already on there). Two coats minimum for each room, and the only 'flat' paint was on ceilings, I HATE FLAT PAINT. People may say different, but it seems to me that an enamel paint is stronger than a latex.

I also used semi gloss, which might make most people cringe, but I knew from my previous house that it would 'dull out' in just a couple of years to look more like a satin. And we painted in the same color/paint we had done our previous house in, and were happy with everything from the color to the performance.

In the last 5 years or so, we have started repainting some of the rooms, and I'll admit it is beyond time. I wash walls every year, so 'dirty' isn't a problem and we don't have lots of dings and scratches, just based on the way we live, but things are looking rather tired.

The holdup is that we have put so much money into other things (new septic system, roof, all new windows, all new exterior doors and interior doors, outdoor decorative fencing, raising a child in private school etc.), and then add the fact that I simply hate to paint, and I have been dragging my feet something terrible. At least one room that needs paint, needs several other things as well (and done first) so that big project keeps getting pushed back. 

I have a friend who would paint every year, rather than clean her walls. I personally think so much depends on your lifestyle, type of heating in the home, how  hard you are on the walls, and how often you wash them, the quality of paint you use, and the color choices you make (some will fade out quicker)  when deciding how often to paint.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

We bought this house 22 years ago and at that time completely painted and/or papered every room in it.

We used an (at the time anyway) top of the line Sherwin Williams enamel paint (we were told that the house was old enough that it probably needed the enamel as that is what was most likely already on there). Two coats minimum for each room, and the only 'flat' paint was on ceilings, I HATE FLAT PAINT. People may say different, but it seems to me that an enamel paint is stronger than a latex.

I also used semi gloss, which might make most people cringe, but I knew from my previous house that it would 'dull out' in just a couple of years to look more like a satin. And we painted in the same color/paint we had done our previous house in, and were happy with everything from the color to the performance.

In the last 5 years or so, we have started repainting some of the rooms, and I'll admit it is beyond time. I wash walls every year, so 'dirty' isn't a problem and we don't have lots of dings and scratches, just based on the way we live, but things are looking rather tired.

The holdup is that we have put so much money into other things (new septic system, roof, all new windows, all new exterior doors and interior doors, outdoor decorative fencing, raising a child in private school etc.), and then add the fact that I simply hate to paint, and I have been dragging my feet something terrible. At least one room that needs paint, needs several other things as well (and done first) so that big project keeps getting pushed back. 

I have a friend who would paint every year, rather than clean her walls. I personally think so much depends on your lifestyle, type of heating in the home, how  hard you are on the walls, and how often you wash them, the quality of paint you use, and the color choices you make (some will fade out quicker)  when deciding how often to paint.

Us too.  We use an eggshell finish on the walls, not as flat as flat but not as shiny as satin.

Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

We must be the exception to the rule, we paint every 4-5 years - 6 at the most.

I'm with you, every 5 yrs or so. Maybe sooner if needed.

Entryway tends to take a beating. Boots & shoes off, coats on, deliveries thru the front door.

Still do it myself and now prefer Behr to SW. 

Respected Contributor

Guess I am different in my home it gets painted every 4 or 5 years I like the home to look fresh and clean and love the smell of fresh painted walls. My brother-in law used to have fits that I painted so often. He said every time he turned around I was running around with paint brushes and rollers. I love to paint so it not a big deal to tackle the job and I am by now way a spring chicken. Also only use Benjamin Moore Paint satin finish. 

Honored Contributor

I don't mind painting the walls but my hands are too shaky to paint the trims. I wish I could hire someone to just do the trim and I'd finish the walls and ceilings.

Honored Contributor

Lots of great comments.  It's been 12 years so I'd like to paint the inside of our home soon.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a question. If you don't want white walls in your house when you build it do you have to pay extra. Let's say when we build our house we want gray. We were assuming it was extra only if you wanted more then one color.
Trusted Contributor

Since I have lived in my house, I have painted various rooms several times.

The laundry room has been painted 4-5 times alone!

I was going to change my main color in most of the house, but decided to repaint walls that really need it  with the same color. The wall in the hallway is in need of a fresh coat.

I have a gallon ready to go for  my bathroom and for the repaints. I just need the time to do it! I love to paint! I recently bought a paint sprayer and am going to practice with that.

Once I feel I am ready, I want to spray the ceilings.