Honored Contributor

Re: How do you clean under your heavy bed?

On 1/15/2014 Ford1224 said:

My apartment is very small, I only have two closets. Therefore I have all storage under my bed, so it is not possible to clean.

I'm thinking maybe we might have to start thinking about an apartment or a smaller place. I guess we'll just see what this year brings. My husband has mentioned it several times.

Trusted Contributor

Rather infrequently, I'm afraid! But when I do, I use some of my vacuum cleaner tools that will reach under the bed.

Honored Contributor

On 1/15/2014 happy housewife said: I feel the cleaning lady is the way to go - with her doing all the heavy and the high and low stuff I can easily keep up with the daily chores, and the house looks nice all the time. before we had her it seemed I was constantlycleaning and yet the house never looked clean, i just kept getting farther and farther behind. Plus my back and hips and knees were always hurting because of the high and low cleaning. my house has 10 1/2 ft ceilings so I was spending a lot of time up on ladders - something that was absolutely not safe.

I have noticed that when I do go against doctors orders and get on and off of a chair my ankles hurt for a few days. I have had osteoporosis for probably about 10 or 15 yrs. so I really do have to be careful....your probably right. It's hard for me to get used to not doing everything myself. Pride, I guess. {#emotions_dlg.glare} What's that verse...."pride goeth before a fall" {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Honored Contributor

On 1/15/2014 GoodStuff said:

Rather infrequently, I'm afraid! But when I do, I use some of my vacuum cleaner tools that will reach under the bed.

HA! I know what you mean! I'm sure there are things growing under there. My son used to leave plates of food under his bed as a teenager. I would go in and scream....."There's fungus among us"....he laughed but knew that it really meant...."clean it up..NOW!

Honored Contributor

We have wood floors, and can easily swiffer under all of our beds. All beds also have slider pads under them all the time, so they are easy to move when we want to re-arrange the furniture.

Super Contributor

Wow..... hmmm.... I just lie down on the floor beside my bed, reach under there as far as I can and get the big junk out. When I get everything out from under the bed, I'll get the vacuum cleaner and use the hose attachment to get all the dust bunnies and stuff. Then I dust my stuff off that goes under the bed and slide it back under the bed.

Super Contributor

I'm like Lucy, I lie on the floor with the long tube vacuum attachment, but for me it's a rare occurrence! Mainly only do it when the petsitter comes and looks everywhere for proof of life, ha, ha. I'm exhausted by the time I'm leaving just getting the house decent for the petsitter!
Super Contributor

I wish I had put those sliders on my bed when we set it up. It's a Tempurpedic, can't move it for anything. I do have them on a heavy armoire, work great.
Super Contributor

I also have a bad back, and I also have a housekeeper that comes. But in between I use a cordless sweeper that I purchased from Kohls.

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-767363/bissell-perfect-sweep-turbo-cordless-sweeper.jsp

It weighs just a couple of pounds, recharges, and can easily get the dust bunnies out from under your bed. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Super Contributor

On 1/15/2014 jubilant said:
On 1/15/2014 happy housewife said: Do you have a vacuum with tools that you can use - I used to get down on the floor and sit there while I used my canister vac to sweep under the furniture. It was so hard to get back up ! I now have a lady who comes and cleans for me every two weeks - what a delight it is to have her , I know I am very fortunate. Perhaps it is time for you to consider having someone clean for you. When i got up to where it was taking 3 days , all day , for me to get the cleaning done I felt it was time for me to give up the ship and hire help. I had no intention of spending half of my time each week just getting the cleaning done.

I have thought about a housekeeper. My doctor doesn't want me on ladders anymore so I can't get the high places either. I can identify with it taking 3 days....that's about where I am now. DH does all the sweeping, folds clothes, and other things and is pretty good about helping out but he is facing some more health problems and I don't want to ask him right now to move heavy items. You would think they would come up with beds on wheels or something. Of course you would have to put them on the headboard too I would imagine. Thanks for posting....I might just have to go the housekeeper route. I do have a small canister vac with tools but it is old and suction is poor.

Jubilant: I really sympathize because I have the same heavy bed problem. However, I recently bought a Shark vacuum cleaner (which I really love) and the handle will fall flat to the floor, enabling me to "attack" under the bed from both sides with just a small amount of body-maneuvering, so I do feel that I am achieving some sort of cleaning there. I don't know if you want to go the way of buying a new vacuum cleaner, but the Shark has super suction and I believe it is as good as a Dyson at picking up (or so I have heard). It costs around $200. I must say that I do like the idea of a Roomba, too. Anyway, I hope this helps.