Valued Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever gotten rid of their wedding china?

Some of you are an antique dealer's dream. Donate it, so the dealer can buy it cheaply, and sell it. I know, because I am one. lol

I have so many sets of dishes and china that it isn't even funny. I love it and use it often. My first set, my youngest dd has asked for, so she will get it.

For those of you who like your pattern, why don't you use it? Just put it in the dishwasher if you don't want to do it by hand, on the short or china setting. What's the difference if it wears out? You're talking about donating it anyway!

I just had one of my granddaughters and a grandson over for dinner the other eve. They are 6 and 8. I set the table with pretty china, and stemware. In the kitchen no less! They really love eating at grandma's and it teaches them how to eat at nice places, table manners, etc. They really feel "special" when they eat off of such pretty dishes.

As I said, just use it! So what if it chips or breaks once in a while.

Honored Contributor

My Mom used hers. I didn't use mine much. One Easter dinner, sometimes dinner on New Year's, etc. I have Christmas dishes so didn't use it for Christmas. The last few times I did use it, I did put it in the dishwasher with no harm done. It has the platinum trim. (Noritake)

Honored Contributor

You all have really got me thinking about my dishes. I have my grandmother's china (Spode Buttercup), and my great grandmother's which is a white china with a gold rim. I don't know what the pattern is. I have some old every day dishes of my grandmother, and some other every day dishes from my other grandmother. I have some inexpensive Christmas dishes that I bought a few years ago. I only used them for two years. My every day dishes are actually bone china, and I love them. They're Wedgwood Nantucket Basket (solid white dishes). I inherited my mother's china, which is Lenox Rhodora, but it's still at my father's house. It's beautiful, but I would never use it. I don't know what I'm going to do with all these dishes. I did get an estimate from Replacements.com for the Spode, but I wouldn't get much money and it would cost so much to ship them I don't think it would be worth it. I have 12 place settings and quite a few serving pieces. I do use some of it in displays. I really like it, but I like mine better. Like everyone else, I really wish there was someone to give all these dishes to that would use and love them. I don't know what I'll eventually do with them. I replaced my couch recently, and had my old one picked up along with some clothes and other stuff. Now I'm wishing I'd gotten rid of some of these dishes, too.

On a positive note, my mother and grandmother did use their good china, so it didn't go to waste.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Frequent Contributor

I can't imagine selling my china. We use it all the time for holidays. My mom even added to it a few years ago since the family has grown. We use it because it makes a holiday feel special. Our children have grown up using the china and eating in the dining room. I don't feel any of it has ever been stuffy or too formal. My SILs also do the same.
Esteemed Contributor

Habitat for Humanity would be grateful for your donations.

Valued Contributor

I am saving mine for my granddaughters, who will never be able to afford the fancy, gold-rimmed china I have. I use mine only on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter...but I love being able to set a beautiful table a few times a year....I think its good for all of us to dress up and remember our good manners! LOL My grandchildren love the experience.

Honored Contributor

On 2/14/2015 tsavorite said:

what about selling it at a flea market? if you couldnt get 40 I doubt I could get that and I have service for 13...and salt/pepper...veg bowl...cream/sugar...gravy boat and so on!

I just went and looked at it again....just don't care for it. My biggest obstacle to getting rid of it will most likely be my spouse! He like to hoard most anything for any reason. I loath the clutter and just looking at anything I won't use gets on my nerves! LOL

Fist I will pack up the day dishes and donate THEN I will talk to him about letting that china go. If I could sneak it out I would. But he would notice that empty glass cabinet next to the dinner table LOL

Just a hint for you, as I have a hubby just like yours. If you clean out your hutch, pack up the china, and arrange something else in the hutch (other dishes, a collection of crystal, some kinck knacks, or whatever), then put the dishes in your storage area. Do it when he is not home. If he asks about where the china is, tell him it is in (the basement, garage, attic or wherever you put it). Let some time pass, and if he doesn't ask about it again (or at all in the first place) load it up and give it to charity.

I have a tendency to move things around and redecorate areas often, so hubby doesn't really know what is new, what is brought out again from 10 years ago, or what I have given away. If I just don't do it when he is around, he seems not to notice what we have, or what is where.