Honored Contributor

Re: Dynatrap Good while it works

[ Edited ]

@sunshine9602   You can watch how to replace the ballast on YouTube.  Then if it appears that you will be able to do it, order it and replace it yourself.

I replaced a battery for an IPad when everyone said if couldn't be done.  I ordered a new battery and adhesive kit on eBay and watched a YouTube video.  

It is is very frustrating when things do not last as long as they should.

Best of luck too you.  I hope you can fix it.

Esteemed Contributor

@kivah wrote:

Sometimes I think that products purchased at QVC are lower in quality. That's why customer service at these companies isn't good -- because they actually don't sell those items. They're made for QVC.

I hadn't thought about that, but I think you may be right.

Respected Contributor

For all that investment you could of just called a company and sprayed for bugs/mosquitos.  I looked into buying a Dynatrap but for some reason never took the leap.  After this review, I'm glad I didn't buy one.

Esteemed Contributor

@DecorDiva Reviews - best zapper ever......2020 mine will be 4 years old.  Plan to buy a backup.

FLOWTRON BK-40D   1 acre  $39.98 Amazon

Suggest to buy a spare bulb for backup

Hang on sheperds hook - avoid turning zapper upside down to make hook connect  (like I did).......bulb became dis-lodged

To clean electric wires from dead bugs - suggestion - unplug & let unit cool down.  Flush with garden hose.  Allow to dry and plug in again.  Leave on 24/7

Use exterior strength extension cord.

First year thousands of mosquitoes flocked to zapper at twilight hours.  Not much action during day - zap and sparks when fat moths hit the current.

Enjoy...............

Valued Contributor

I faithfully (stupidly) put my Dynatrap out every year by my pond to try to keep up with the skeeters. Nope- just catches moths. Lots and lots of moths. I have to clean it out about every two weeks or it smells like I have a rotting corpse in my back yard. I have the really big one and I can't ever get it open to dump all the dead or almost dead moths out, so I have to 'bug' the husband to do it. We go through bulbs every summer and I always say this is the last time......Stupid is as stupid does, I guess.  Huge waste of money and time convincing my husband we should get one. 

Esteemed Contributor

@CritterKeeper With mine as I watched from my screen porch - the Dynatrap fan is a total joke.  Watched flies get as close as possible to the 'fan' and just simply fly away.  Moths are so attracted to the light that what I caught the most of too.  The clean out - with 2 tiny tiny screws - was a nightmare.  Lost them 3 times in the grass.  One summer was enough of that stupid trap.

Respected Contributor

We have two Dynatraps in our backyard near our pool and we have had great results.  We had been getting a company to spray but found their service to be spotty at best.  I feel like the results with the Dynatrap have been great and I can depend on it being there and working when I need it.

Trusted Contributor

@fthunt This zapper sounds like something I could use because the mosquitoes love me.  I always hesitated to buy any zapper tho because I was afraid they might kill the honey bees also.  Did you find this to be so?

Esteemed Contributor

@kivah wrote:

Sometimes I think that products purchased at QVC are lower in quality. That's why customer service at these companies isn't good -- because they actually don't sell those items. They're made for QVC.

I absolutely agree with you.  It"s like some outlet handbag stores where you will find the bags are lesser quality. I know from experience that this is true for Michael Kors and Coach.  You may find one or two bags from the regular line but thats it. Maybe companies have contracts with QVC like that.

Trusted Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

@DecorDiva Reviews - best zapper ever......2020 mine will be 4 years old.  Plan to buy a backup.

FLOWTRON BK-40D   1 acre  $39.98 Amazon

Suggest to buy a spare bulb for backup

Hang on sheperds hook - avoid turning zapper upside down to make hook connect  (like I did).......bulb became dis-lodged

To clean electric wires from dead bugs - suggestion - unplug & let unit cool down.  Flush with garden hose.  Allow to dry and plug in again.  Leave on 24/7

Use exterior strength extension cord.

First year thousands of mosquitoes flocked to zapper at twilight hours.  Not much action during day - zap and sparks when fat moths hit the current.

Enjoy...............

@fthunt  - thank you so much for the info and the hints.  It is a lot cheaper than the Dynatraps for sure.  Here in VA I can't be outside becuase the misquitoes are so bad.