Honored Contributor

DOUGH BOWLS ON FREE SHIPPING

Screenshot 2023-12-02 at 9.42.35 PM.png

H453561.    "As Is" Set of 2 Wooden Dough Bowls by Lauren McBride.  $34.    Solid pine.  Comes in either White Wash (on the left, above) or Dark Wash (on the right)   They stack, or use them separately.

Not food safe, so for decorative uses only.

Or, full price--

H429542.   Set of 2 Wooden Dough Bowls by Lauren McBride.    $49.     I think only white wash is left.

Screenshot 2023-12-02 at 10.28.28 PM.png

Why they're good:   I'm thinking, a nice gift for someone who's modern, or "crunchy-organic",  or likes an imperfect, primitive look, but not necessarily hunting things up in antique stores.   

The rectangular shape sets them apart, plus the textured interior, plus the rattan-wrapped handles.  Plus they are shallow, so can act as a tray almost as much as a bowl.

The biggest one in the set of 2 is about 15 inches long.

Screenshot 2023-12-02 at 9.40.54 PM.png

I got these, only because of the $34 "As is" price ( I wouldn't spend $49 )  and free shipping.

IMPORTANT:  It's a bit of a risk, since some people got ones that were cracked.  ( I'd probably fill the crack myself and still use-- I like them that much.).   But not everybody feels that way.

But I was willing to take the chance, since I had specific uses for them.  I have a few round, authentically vintage dough bowls I've used for years, but nothing like these.

Luckily, mine had no flaws!  I love them, and there's so much you can do with them.  Stack and leave empty.  Stack and fill.   Or, separate them.   Sandra in a video showed one set up as a coffee station with clean mugs in it.  Very good look. 

Screenshot 2023-12-02 at 9.43.08 PM.png

Flameless pillars are nice in them too.  

Honored Contributor

Re: DOUGH BOWLS ON FREE SHIPPING

I wonder why they're not food-safe? Most modern finishes should be food-safe. Polyurethane finishes are rated as food-safe by the FDA. The typical oil finishes used for cutting boards and other wooden kitchen items are also food-safe. Why make dough bowls and not make them food-safe? That way they could be both decorative and functional rather than just decorative.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Oh, boy, @gardenman ,  you are singing my tune!   I have long noticed that with many home decor items, and wondered the same thing that you do.   Increasingly, laws stateside have certain standards that manufacturers have to reach, in order to be deemed "safe"--  i.e.,  the far-reaching California laws about products.  In some cases, they may be over-zealous, but it's hard for the consumer to know, one way or the other.

The manufacturers are trying to cover themselves, probably, in many cases.  With things like bowls, I've noticed even with decorative ones that are clearly labeled not food-safe, that in customer reviews, people will say, "oh this is perfect as a fruit bowl in my kitchen"!   And maybe they only put things like oranges and bananas in, that you would peel anyway. 

But I am something of a scaredy cat in this area, so if they say "not food safe",  I heed that.  The whole thing is annoying-- just take the extra step to make it OK for food! 

Honored Contributor

By the way, I've tried out any number of scenarios with the bowls.

My favorite so far, with the largest one, is to make it a base for the Christmas arrangement on my entry console table.

It's a narrow table, with tall buffet lamps at either end.  So, in the middle, I put the longest dough bowl, acting as a tray.  In that, I've rested three vintage books, brown, with red and gilt spines facing out. On top of them, my Deco white vase, and in that, some frosted evergreen branches and reddish-burgundy pods.

I have some old, wooden cranberry garland, which I've filled the doughbowl with, around the books, and one strand winding up around the base of the vase and back down.

Can't wait to try other things too.  It's like Legos for adults...

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell 

I love dough bowls! I agree about them being like legos for adults. I have a long narrow one as an always centerpiece on our dining table that I keep a luminara candle in and change up what else is in it depending on the season...

Right  now there's pinecones, evergreen-ery and antique looking ornaments. 

So fun!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" -Immanuel Kant

"Once you have had a wonderful Dog, a life without one, is a life diminished"-Dean Koontz
Valued Contributor

@Oznell  I'd hesitated, but on your recommendation, I added these dough bowls to my wish list. Every time there was a free shipping day, they were sold out by the time I got to them. Kept waiting for the "as is" set to appear again and last weekend  I finally had success! They were delivered today and are perfect, no cracks as some reviewers described. So glad I'd read of your experience with them here on the forum.

Honored Contributor

I'm thrilled for you, @laluzdelmundo !   Thanks for reporting back.  We both got lucky with no flaws on our "as is" bowls.  I know you'll have a blast with all the things you can do with them....

Super Contributor

Love this owl sculpture and think it would look good in the vicinity of the rustic dough bowls:

Design Toscano Octavius Knot Hole Owl Tree Scultpture, QVC item # H439529 ($24.38):

Design Toscano Octavius Knot Hole Owl Tree Sculpture

Design Toscano Octavius Knot Hole Owl Tree Sculpture, 1 of 1

Respected Contributor

@QVCisFun 

Oh, really love this. Looks so cute and natural.