Honored Contributor

DESIGNER'S OWN COLOR-FILLED APARTMENT

Screenshot 2024-05-12 at 1.06.18 PM.png

Her family home is a New York apartment, where she gets to indulge her enjoyment of color, art and antiques.

Her entry hall starts off with the soft blues of the abstract painting, and the striking pieces of Wedgwood jasperware, which she was lucky enough to inherit from her great-grandmother:

Screenshot 2024-05-12 at 12.55.15 PM.png

Wow, I wonder what those bad boys would go for at auction today?

BLOG_AMANDNISBET_0216_13.jpeg

The detail!

AND_1326_29.jpg

Pinky-mauves mix with flame orange in the living room, tempered by neutral, wheat colored walls...  Lots of 'old school', silver-framed and mostly black and white family photographs are a warm touch. 

Screenshot 2024-05-12 at 1.14.57 PM.png

I think this is the same room, in a slightly different arrangement, when she had these richly burnt orange, Christopher Spitzmiller lamps:

AND_1326_1.jpg

Love her fireplace area.  All of her club chairs and ottomans look so comfortable, too--

Screenshot 2024-05-12 at 12.45.43 PM.png

Stunning plaster mirror,  paired with exquisitely simple silver lanterns...

AND_1326_36.jpg

Another room, could be the dining room before changing wall color, but also with a great fireplace and antique mirror.  Beautiful black-and-gilt tray, and plinth, holding plant.   She must move her Wedgwood around!

AND_1326_28.jpg

More of the formal dining room, before she changed the wall color.  The portrait of her grandmother is a stunner!

AND_1326_43.jpg

Now the walls are a luminous melon color, paired again with that pinky-mauve she favors--

Screenshot 2024-05-12 at 1.40.22 PM.png

AND_Home_16-e1599575482163.jpg

I wish there had been more than this tantalizing glimpse of a table setting.  That china looks gorgeous--

AND_1326_33.jpg

Another interesting vignette from the apartment.  I wonder if it was a previous iteration of the entry hall?   Whatever,  I love the sensitivity of the terra cotta head, and the vigor of the little gilt skater, which apparently was another family heirloom.   And look at that marble-topped table--  all her tables are lovely--

Screenshot 2024-05-12 at 1.45.19 PM.png

Bedroom.  I love a vintage ski poster....

AND_Home_21.jpg

I could see a teenager loving this sophisticated single bedroom...

AND_1326_16.jpg

I really enjoy gaping at these vignettes, so distant from my own experience.  Amanda Nisbet's colors, and intensity of colors, are not mine-- but it's fun seeing a bold vision rendered by someone who knows what she likes, and knows what she's doing.

Honored Contributor

Re: DESIGNER'S OWN COLOR-FILLED APARTMENT

[ Edited ]

@Oznell 

Not my taste, either, but some of the spaces are interesting in their use of color. 

The problem I see is that much of the seating and sleeping areas just don't look comfortable, or user friendly.  It's just done for show.  

No matter if your home is super casual or quite formal, it should be COMFORTABLE.   I don't see that here.  

JMO, of course.

Honored Contributor

I like those orange table lamps!

Honored Contributor

I love the joyous color in this home, especially the plum tones, specifically the two velvet chairs in the first picture.  Yum.  One must be quite adventurous to combine plums and oranges in the same home.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Her sense of style and incorporation of color are exquisite.

Thank you for sharing these beautiful photos.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell @Tinkrbl44  I LOVE everything in the entry but not much else. My style is cozy and comfy and I see none of that here. 

Respected Contributor

The pairing of the vibrant colors is unexpected but rich. Too bright for me but to each her own.

My favorite is the marble table (gorgeous), the terra cotta piece and the skater. Just the right selections for that piece.

@Oznell thank you for another amazing post.

Esteemed Contributor

I love to see a home with rich vibrant colors but most of these are probably colors I would never use. Her design style doesn't do a whole lot for me either. However, I do love those orange lamps!
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

@Oznell  Sometimes your posts trigger memories for me, & this is 1 of those times.

We had Wedgwood in our family's stores when I was young, & my mother loved it. She had a variety of pieces at home: vases, lamps, & a hanging lamp/chandelier, etc. She had Wedgwood jewelry & gave me a ring; I think it had a daisy on it.

Tomorrow is the anniversary of my mother's death.

All the colors used in this apartment except the violet color remind me of the Italian hand-blown glass vases & accessories from the early 1960's that I would see when shopping with my mom every week. The Italian glass might have been popular in American home decor before that, but I wouldn't have known. I remember getting off an escalator and seeing a wall of the beautiful glass art pieces & always looked to see what was new. The oranges, greens, yellows, golds ...

Trusted Contributor

As much as I like color in my own space and seeing it in others, I was not completely wowed by her space. I didn't like the pinkish/mauvish color, but that's on me, as it's not a color I gravitate towards.  However, I do like a vibrant orange, and her use of orange in the rooms spoke to me.