Trusted Contributor

Re: H208958 8" GLASS MOSAIC TILED VASE WITH MICRO LIGHTS BY VALERIE

Speaking of mosaic items, after Kringle Express hit it out of the park last year with the porcelain bells, today they brought us H209515 - Mosaic Glass Holiday Bell.  The bells look so pretty, but none of the color choices of red, green, blue or gold go with my decor.  You know what color would have gone with my decor?  Silver.  Kringle Express made a stinking bell in 4 colors, including gold, but left out silver.  I guess it's okay.  It's not like they wrote a Christmas carol about Slver Bells or anything.  Le sigh.

Honored Contributor

Re: H208958 8" GLASS MOSAIC TILED VASE WIT MICRO LIGHTS BY VALERIE

@SHOPR wrote:

I like that they're curvy and not a straight column, but for some reason I'm not all that tempted by any of them.  They look nice, though, in all colors.  I guess I'm not in the mood to buy any more mosaic items after the Pier1 blue mosaic lantern turned out to be such a disappointment when illuminated. 

@SHOPR  I didn't know that the blue was a disappointment, it's a shame.  Will you return it?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl wrote:

@SHOPR wrote:

I like that they're curvy and not a straight column, but for some reason I'm not all that tempted by any of them.  They look nice, though, in all colors.  I guess I'm not in the mood to buy any more mosaic items after the Pier1 blue mosaic lantern turned out to be such a disappointment when illuminated. 

@SHOPR  I didn't know that the blue was a disappointment, it's a shame.  Will you return it?

Good morning @mousiegirl. Yes, I'm going to return it to a Pier1 store the next time I'm going in one of those directions.  :-(

When illuminated, the defined tile shapes look like random, misshapen blobs, many with grout all under them, or with paint runs, or missing paint. Then the royal blue tiles appear almost black when lit, while all the others look a dirty clear.  Surely this isn't the norm for mosaic tiled items?  I've never had much interest in them until lately, so I don't know.   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GCR18 wrote:

@SHOPR wrote:

I'm opposite.  I would have preferred they were straight.

Good morning @GCR18. I wish that whenever illuminated glass vessels like these are offered, that we could choose between two or three different shapes. 

With the rectangular upright tiles in the center of this style, I can see how it would have looked nice as a column shape.  

Honored Contributor

@RazorSharp wrote:

Speaking of mosaic items, after Kringle Express hit it out of the park last year with the porcelain bells, today they brought us H209515 - Mosaic Glass Holiday Bell.  The bells look so pretty, but none of the color choices of red, green, blue or gold go with my decor.  You know what color would have gone with my decor?  Silver.  Kringle Express made a stinking bell in 4 colors, including gold, but left out silver.  I guess it's okay.  It's not like they wrote a Christmas carol about Slver Bells or anything.  Le sigh.

Those bells caught my eye @RazorSharp and I noticed the lack of silver.

There was something about the shape of them that could have been better done. And the ribbon on top looked like a last ditch effort to 'top it off' when they couldn't figure out something else.

Loved the idea, again, just the execution wasn't as good as it could have been. The colors were certainly vibrant, but during the presentation, it seemed like there wasn't much light. I'm measuring everything against the P&H gourd I got this year. Stunning!

Trusted Contributor

I actually caved on this one too. I haven't bought any mosaics so far but have been back and forth about them until this one. I got the blue as the room I plan to put it is in blue and brown and I have been waiting for something to add some zest to that room (its a spare bedroom). I hope it is as nice as it looked.  

Trusted Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@RazorSharp wrote:

There was something about the shape of them that could have been better done. And the ribbon on top looked like a last ditch effort to 'top it off' when they couldn't figure out something else.

Loved the idea, again, just the execution wasn't as good as it could have been. The colors were certainly vibrant, but during the presentation, it seemed like there wasn't much light. I'm measuring everything against the P&H gourd I got this year. Stunning!

@Mominohio I thought the bells looked a bit like pears from certain angles, so I understand what you mean about the shape.  I think the bow on top was to validate it as a bell, not a pear in the same way that the reason they took a bite out of the apple symbol for the Apple company was because they realized it looked like a cherry if they didn't.  

The strange thing about not offering a Silver Bell, aside from the disacknowledgement of the song, is that the silver option in mosaic items is always so beautiful.  If you look at the silver option in items like H202967 or H208694, you could almost imagine how stunning the bells could look in that color.  

I've been so disenchanted with the Kringle Express brand this season.  The quality and taste has been so subpar that this item's lack of a silver option is sort of the faceplant in the palm, cherry on top moment that makes me think their buyer really needs to be kicked to the curb. Wouldn't being a buyer for a QVC home decor brand be an amazing job???

Respected Contributor

I ordered the frost since my mantle is done in winter theme-white and silvers.

Honored Contributor

@RazorSharp wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@RazorSharp wrote:

@Mominohio I thought the bells looked a bit like pears from certain angles, so I understand what you mean about the shape.  I think the bow on top was to validate it as a bell, not a pear in the same way that the reason they took a bite out of the apple symbol for the Apple company was because they realized it looked like a cherry if they didn't.  

The strange thing about not offering a Silver Bell, aside from the disacknowledgement of the song, is that the silver option in mosaic items is always so beautiful.  If you look at the silver option in items like H202967 or H208694, you could almost imagine how stunning the bells could look in that color.  

I've been so disenchanted with the Kringle Express brand this season.  The quality and taste has been so subpar that this item's lack of a silver option is sort of the faceplant in the palm, cherry on top moment that makes me think their buyer really needs to be kicked to the curb. Wouldn't being a buyer for a QVC home decor brand be an amazing job???

@RazorSharp

I certainly don't know at least two things. 

First, what criteria Q has for someone to be employed as a home decor buyer for the company. Perhaps they have degrees up the wazoo, I don't know, but I certainly think they are missing the mark more and more as the years progress.

And the second, is what it takes to become an 'interior design expert' that Q often introduces their various vendors as. 

What I do know is that many of us submit ideas here, and many of us are long time home decor buyers from the Q. I've suggested it before, and think it still would be a good idea, for Q to have a focus group of sorts, made of people who have bought from Q for years, to be polled, sampled, questioned, interviewed about upcoming home decor choices/styles/brands/lines/color options etc (before they buy the next season's goods!). They could randomly choose different customers, show them choices, and use the feedback to have a better finger on the pulse of their devoted customers. 

How expensive and difficult would that really be with today's technology? Simply choose a sampling of known home decor customers, send an email with a 'survey' of sorts and consider the input of the people who are actual spending money.

There are certainly enough differences in all our styles, likes and dislikes that I'm sure they would get a nice cross section.

Seems like it would be better than the 'wait and see if it sells' kind of practice they seem to use now.