Honored Contributor

@hennypenny I'm glad you can send them back at no cost to you and you will get all of your money back because it is defective. QVC's Customer Service is the BEST of all of the companies I've ever called. Woman Happy

Good luck searching for and finding another handbag! 

Respected Contributor

Re: Mildew smell

[ Edited ]

It's probably from the warehouse. Once they wrap something in plastic, it locks in the smell. 

Glad they let you return it. and, you're not paying postage. Smiley Happy

Better luck with the next one.

Honored Contributor

Mildew, like mold, multiplies.  Probably from weather changes during it's long trip from overseas.  That's why almost everything has to be treated/sprayed to prevent mildew, mold, spiders, insects, pests now-a-days.   Years ago, it was a simple train or truck trip across a couple of states.  Now, it's a long, drawn-out process.  Well, glad that you were able to return it.  Good for you!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Valued Contributor

Your purse is not alone, I have read hundreds of people write in about the Orany bags have an awful smell.  I don't know why their bags smell, but they do, that's one of the reasons why I won't order them, not to mention that hideous print lining.  They need an overhaul of their bags.

Honored Contributor

I have gotten rid of mildew smells in antique trunks, and other smells in handbags by opening all compartments and putting it in a plastic garbage bag along with an odor-absorbing gel (can get these at WalMart pet department, Ace Hardware, Supermarkets) and open the gel jar and put it in the bag with the handbag.  Blow some air into the bag and tie it at the top and leave it for a week.  After a week, open it and see if the odor is gone.  If not quite gone, tie it up and do it again.

I had an antique hump back trunk (1870 or so) and it reeked.  I couldn't scrub it out because of all the paper graphics inside so i took TWO of these gel odor absorbers and opened them, put them inside, closed the lid tightly and waited two weeks to see what happened.... the mildew was totally gone and never came back!   Good luck! 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

By the way, I was lucky in that my Oryani didn't smell, but many handbags that are made in China are treated with a horrific chemical to stop insects and whatever from taking a ride from China to the US....  I've had this happen with a Kathy Van Zeeland bag from China... the fumes made me feel sick.  I got that thing wrapped back up and sent back so fast!

Respected Contributor

It's one thing to deal with an antique or vintage item with that smell. One shouldn't pay for a brand new bag that smells of mildew.

I once received one item with an odor so strong, it almost triggered an asthma attack. (I have allergies to mold and dust and have to be very careful.)  So it's not just about the smell. For some people, it might be a matter of health.

Honored Contributor

@JavaQueen wrote:

It's one thing to deal with an antique or vintage item with that smell. One shouldn't pay for a brand new bag that smells of mildew.

I once received one item with an odor so strong, it almost triggered an asthma attack. (I have allergies to mold and dust and have to be very careful.)  So it's not just about the smell. For some people, it might be a matter of health.

I absolutely agree with you.... a brand new item should not have a bad odor.  And smells can definitely trigger health problems.