Respected Contributor

I got the oryany cross body bag the other day. It smells very mildewy. I have put it in the sun. What else should I do. I don't want to ruin the bag, but cannot use it the way it is. 

Regular Contributor

I would return it. The smell may never leave!!

Respected Contributor

You can do EVERYTHING to that bag and it still will smell.

Did you buy in on the Bay?  Either way, I second returning it.

Been there, done that.

Respected Contributor

@hennypenny wrote:

I got the oryany cross body bag the other day. It smells very mildewy. I have put it in the sun. What else should I do. I don't want to ruin the bag, but cannot use it the way it is. 

I once saw Martha Stewart get rid of the mildew smell from a few antique books.  She put charcoal in a Rubbermaid container with the books and shut the lid.  I don't remember what kind of charcoal it was.  I'm sure you can google it and it will probably come up.  

Honored Contributor

@hennypenny If you can't return the handbag:

Search Google for Purse Forum

Scroll down on the main page to find Handbag Care & Maintenance

Look down through the posts to read about several ideas on "How to get a smell out of a bag"

People tell what works and what doesn't. It's kind of interesting to read. I hope you find an idea that works for you.

Good luck, EEL

Respected Contributor

Hi, I got the bag on the Q.  It just came two days ago. I think I am going to send it back. It is awfully cute, but I am afraid to put my things in it.

I want to thank all of you for your ideas and help. 

Now I will be on the hunt again for the perfect no flap, cross body smallish bag. Grrrrr.

Honored Contributor

A lot of Q merchandise seems to arrive with that smell.   Sometimes it's so strong it about knocks you over.   Don't tell me those in shipping don't notice it,  but they ship it anyway.   It's almost impossible to eradicate the odor.   They either improperly store items or keep them too long. 

I'd send it back and don't let them charge you postage. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

If it really is mildewand not some other smell, I would return it too. Once real leather gets "infected", I thinks it's history.

Respected Contributor

I think QVC's has a damp warehouse. I would return it.

Respected Contributor

I called customer service. The operator was lovely and told me to mark it defective, and that she would do the same. I asked her to please make some sort of notation as I doubted that my purse would be the only one with that smell. 

As I said I am dissapointed as it is a darling purse.