Valued Contributor

I Was Cleaning Out My Closet Today, And I Came Across . . .

Four Dooney & Bourke handbags I had bought in the 1990's and early 200's, 2 at a department store and 2 from QVC, that I simply stopped using for two reasons: 

1. My new tech toys would absolutely not fit into them; 2 don't even have cell phone slots and the 2 that do are laughably tiny and narrow. 

2. Even with making do and finding spots for my tech, I found my already heavy D&B's was even heavier!

So that is why I now buy Vera Bradley's lightweight purses and have lots of room for my phone and e reader. Guess it's time to donate my vintage D&B's to my church rummage sale. I'm sure they will find a nice home. 

Honored Contributor

Re: I Was Cleaning Out My Closet Today, And I Came Across . . .

@grammarqueen wrote:

Four Dooney & Bourke handbags I had bought in the 1990's and early 200's, 2 at a department store and 2 from QVC, that I simply stopped using for two reasons: 

1. My new tech toys would absolutely not fit into them; 2 don't even have cell phone slots and the 2 that do are laughably tiny and narrow. 

2. Even with making do and finding spots for my tech, I found my already heavy D&B's was even heavier!

So that is why I now buy Vera Bradley's lightweight purses and have lots of room for my phone and e reader. Guess it's time to donate my vintage D&B's to my church rummage sale. I'm sure they will find a nice home. 

@grammarqueen

Have you considered selling at least a couple of them on Ebay?

Trusted Contributor

Send them to me LOL!  I just toss my phone into my handbag.  I don't worry about slots.  Smiley Happy

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

I feel the same way.  I have at least three Dooney bags that I never use.  Two are from years ago and one was an "It" bag with a white leather background and a colorful Dooney logo.  It has no outside pockets which is probably the reason I rarely used it. Another is a tan fabric which has a tone on tone look with the Dooney logo and does have an outside pocket and I used it a few times one season.  It's rather stiff like a lot of Dooneys. Both are in excellent condition.

The last is only a few years old and is a red Florentine leather.  To me it's very heavy and I've never used it.  It still has tags on it.  I can't believe I did something as stupid as buying this expensive bag and never took it out of my closet!   The year I bought the Florentine I also bought myself a Coach bucket bag which I used a lot.  Gorgeous leather bag & so soft!

Lesson learned to only keep items that I love and feel comfortable wearing & using!  My bags will have to find new home but I should give Ebay a try.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have sold several Brighton, Dooney and Brahmin bags I no longer used on EBay. They all sold relatively quickly. 

Honored Contributor

You can trade them in with Dooney. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

I have sold more than 20 Dooney's on eBay. I love them, but I needed to make room for more recent buys last year. I am not old enough yet to need lightweight cloth bags, but my mom carries one due to shoulder issues, so I understand what you're saying. 

Respected Contributor

@grammarqueenIf you're not concerned about the money, you should consider donating them to an organization that helps women prepare to re-enter the workforce.  When my daughters go on a job interview, they carry my old Dooney or Coach bags.  

Respected Contributor

@grammarqueenYou could sell them at a consignment shop. We have a women's shelter that give everything to them because when they leave their home it is sometimes without nothing not even a handbag. Just the clothes on their back.