Trusted Contributor

rose question for hot humid summer sometimes very very dry zone 8 (North Carolina)

Anyone in this area or similar  try growing David Austin roses. Mine unfortunatly would be in full sun including blistering afternoon sun.

If so did your D.A rose thrive, or just limp along, disease or pest problems? 

Also has anyone in this area tried growing a Sally Holmes  rose? What was your experience? I know they are popular on the west coast but have not heard anyone here in NC growing them. Do you constantly have to dead head or will they rebloom reasonbly well without. Thanks.

Contributor

Re: rose question for hot humid summer sometimes very very dry zone 8 (North Carolina)

[ Edited ]

I have several D.A. roses. Some have done very well and a few not so well. The big difference is choosing a rose that is disease-resistant. Disease resistance does not mean disease-free. It is less susceptible to many diseases. Sally Holmes is considered to be a disease-resistant rose. Heart

Living in North Carolina you are subjected to very humid weather. One of the diseases you should be concerned about is Black Spot.Smiley Mad And, you are right to question how a rose grown in California, Texas, and Florida compares to a rose grown in North Carolina.

Many, many years ago, I joined a rose forum to learn how to grow roses. There are many experienced people that can help you with any questions or problems you may encounter.  There you will find people who grow roses in North Carolina. Reading other members' posts will be filled with information. I strongly suggest that is where you start. Also, you can check out David Austin's website. The web is full of information. Google Sally Holmes.  Good Luck!Smiley Very Happy

(I have never posted a link on here, so I don't know why they appeared in 2 different colors?)

***edited to remove links

Trusted Contributor

Re: rose question for hot humid summer sometimes very very dry zone 8 (North Carolina)

@rockyrose1  Thanks so much !