Super Contributor

cherry blossoms are in bloom in Washington, D.C.

They are now blooming there - early

WASHINGTON, DC - MARCH 19: Cherry trees are in full bloom at the Tidal Basin on March 19, 2024 in Washington, DC. The National Park Service announced that it will begin to cut down over 140 Cherry Blossom trees around the Tidal Basin and West Potomac Park in anticipation of the construction of an upgraded sea wall to guard against flooding. (Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images)

Honored Contributor

Re: cherry blossoms are in bloom in Washington, D.C.

So pretty when they bloom!

pic--Smiley-Gal-ThumbsUp.jpg

Honored Contributor

They are absolutely beautiful.  Sometimes we take a trip to DC to see them, but not this year.

Yesterday,I noticed that the cherry trees here in PA are blooming as well.

I just love spring when Mother Nature wakes up. The spring flowers are in full bloom too.  Yeah, I hope winter is soon out of here.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remember when I lived abd worked in DC and the cherry blossom trees came into bloom, the scent of the cherry blossoms permeated the city and it was such a beautiful scent.  It meant  Spring had arrived.  I only wished they would last longer.   I have searched to find that scent of cherry blossoms in a bottle, but it can't be duplicated 

Honored Contributor

The year my son had American History for the first time in school, my husband decided to take a trip to Washington DC during his spring break. 

We stayed at a hotel right off the Mall. 

My husband also planned the trip so we could see the cherry blossoms.

Our first day we walked out of the hotel toward the Lincoln Memorial. I looked like it had snowed pink snow The ground was covered with pink petals. You could not see the ground for all the petals.

So I said to my son see all the petals on the ground? They were on the trees yesterday and were looking beautiful. During the previous night a nasty rain storm went through the area. The rain knocked most of the petals off the trees.

That seemed to be a family tradition. When I was growing up, my Mom was determined to see the cherry blossoms in Washington DC. Dad would plan the trip around schedules and school. He always seemed to be a bit early or a bit late. The poor man tried his best for several years. Finally Mom stopped insisting that we try and see them

Trusted Contributor

Some friends from Memphis are joining me and hubby for the Cherry Blossom 10 Mile Race on April 7th. We love meeting up for races! Peak bloom was 3/17, but there will still be some late bloomers out there.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Those cherry blossoms 🌸 sure are beautiful!  

We have several cherry trees that produce quite a few cherries 🍒.  They're pretty tart, but sure make delicious pies.😃❤️. They won't be ready for awhile.

Respected Contributor

I saw my first hint of forsythias on my way to work this morning.  That's always my first sign of spring here in Michigan.

Respected Contributor

I was lucky enough to witness the blossoms in person in April 2017 during a Stars & Stripes Honor flight visit with my dad. They were so lovely.

Honored Contributor

They are beautiful! I've seen them once in D.C. and I used to ride my bike to see them in Japan. I learned the "Sakura" dance. 

We have a tree in our yard. It's not out yet.

I read they are going to have to take down 150 trees that were a gift from the mayor of Tokyo in 1912 out because of a problem with the seawall crumbling.