Honored Contributor

Re: Why Do i watch Roberta's???

Many of the daylily catalogs will state which are rebloomers -- you will see in the description the word 'rebloomer' or the abbreviation: RE

I also like to look for tetraploid daylilies vs. diploid (T vs. D) on descriptions. The tetraploids have more DNA material in them (4 times the diploids) and their colors are more vivid over the diploids.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I watch because I sooo need winter to be over, lol, and I can't wait to dig in the dirt. I have ordered from Roberta's and from CF, neither grew for me, I also no longer order from catalog's..same reason. I only buy locally, have no problems with those.

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

Gilbert H Wild has some gorgeous daylilies available now and quite cheap! They also have them labeled and if you purchase a certain $ amt. will toss in a free daylily or two for your order. You can also direct them to send them to you when you want them not when they determine the best time to plant. So if you want them in late April instead of early April you can tell them.

I received a free Frans Hals daylily with an order several years ago and a Happy Returns another time.

Oakes Daylilies is another company that is great to do business with as well.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

I enjoy watching the gardening shows. Have never ordered any of the plants because they are outside my budget, but I do learn a little bit. I liked those succulents which they suggested as a substitute for mulch; that was interesting. Criticizing forest-style mulch was a little silly. It's a way of recycling organic materials, suppress weeds, and reduce the need to water. Did they say US is the only place in the world that does that? I don't believe it.

Some of the plants look over-the-top with blooms. They have been heavily fed to produce those results. I doubt they would look like that for most gardeners, and honestly I like to see a little green as well as the blooms!

Honored Contributor

I watch the garden shows - and feel free to think literally watch because I do not listen much at all.

I watch because I love the colors and the lush displays. I don't listen because I have no where to plant what they're selling. Weird, I know.

Honored Contributor

Because you enjoy the Walliens?