Respected Contributor

WILD / INDIAN STRAWBERRIES 🍓 UPDATE

[ Edited ]

In mid April, I did a post of a lovely Wild Flower I found that turned out to be what goes by Wild Yellow Flowered or Indian Strawberry.

My walk back to this area led me to a Big Surprise!  The yellow flowers are now replaced by the strawberries.🍓 

I took a few pics for those curious.

IMG_1011.jpeg

IMG_1009.jpeg

IMG_1003.jpeg

IMG_0995.jpeg

IMG_1005.jpeg

IMG_1013.jpeg

Here's how these started out

IMG_0692.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

Re: WILD / INDIAN STRAWBERRIES 🍓 UPDATE

[ Edited ]

@cheriere 

I love seeing them in my yard, but, as pretty as they are, there is no discernable taste (as I previously mentioned).

However, I'd much rather see these little beauties than most weeds.

Hoping they are a nice feast for some bug or bird.

Respected Contributor

Those are pretty!  i had to google to see if they were edible and read that they were but that there was not really any taste.

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman   @santorini 

Yes, unfortunately these have no taste.  Traditional wild strawberries do however.  This was something I didn't know until I researched the difference...and had a taste for myself lol.😃

My regular strawberry plants have also started to bear fruit.  I meant to post a picture of my first bowl at the end, but forgot.

Respected Contributor

@cheriere That's awesome.  I tried growing my own once and found that some wild animals/bugs always seemed to get to them before I did.  LOVE strawberries!

Respected Contributor

@santorini wrote:

@cheriere That's awesome.  I tried growing my own once and found that some wild animals/bugs always seemed to get to them before I did.  LOVE strawberries!

Lol, I know just what you mean.  This year, I put the strawberries in beds and used some fence to cover them.  Although, the rabbits and deer can still probably get them if they try hard enough.😃

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cheriere 

@santorini 

I'm convinced the deer in my area were trained by Houdini.  Despite my best efforts, they managed to eat everything I planted.  Even things that were supposed to be "deer proof."

Back in the woods, they show up in small herds and will eat anything any everything.  I gave up years ago and now, they are reduced to eating the English Ivy that we planted.

We rarely have to cut it back or trim as they strip it to the dirt. Cat LOL

I was hoping that salt licks placed away from the house would draw them away, but....they still visit.  

290+ Deer Eating Stock Illustrations, Royalty-Free Vector ...

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman 

Im so sorry.  I know just how frustrating it can be to put in so much hard work and effort to only watch it vanish in a night or two.

We were having terrible problems with deer and rabbits in our garden.  Since we live out in the country, we've been able to put a tall fence around our vegetable garden area.  Believe me, it's not fancy or pretty at all, but it has helped.  The deer can't get in, but somehow rabbits can still sneak in sometimes.

Esteemed Contributor

@cheriere 

Oh, I made peace with them (the deer and wildlife) long ago and don't want to be bothered planting anything.  We are surrounded by tall trees trees and the ground is clay/gravel so...not really good for planting.

Nevertheless, I admire people who have cultivated surroundings...it's just never going to be meCat LOL  The things that have taken root and can grow are welcome to stay.  I do have some mint growing and NOTHING seems to want to eat that but me!

Yes, a tall fence is the ONLY way to keep them out.

Honored Contributor

They make a nice ground cover, i have them planted out front in one of my flower gardens.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.