Respected Contributor

Strange cane shot up out of my ****** Clark??

First I thought this new thick cane that seemed to appear over night was a healthy sign of new growth.  So I looked it up, and now I'm not so sure.  It grew from the main stock, thick, no normal leaves, and tons of reddish thorns.   I'm thinking rossette disease??

I cut it off way down to the bottom.   Other than a few yellowish leaves in the bottom center, which I daily pull off, the bush is full of flowers, buds,, and growing nicely.

I spray weekly with Bayers, and have used Bayers systemic.   Any clue what this was, and what else should I do?

Honored Contributor

Re: Strange cane shot up out of my ****** Clark??

Did you mean the Grandiflora Rose "Richard" Clark?

Honored Contributor

Was it a grafted D!ck Clark or on it's own root? I ask this because if the flower from that unusual cane is different than the 'Rick Clark' flowers, it could be the nurse root taking over from the graft.

Rosette disease also shows as smaller than normal flowers, in addition to hyper thorny canes as compared with others on the plant, you may see 'witches' broom' type formation of canes and you may see the canes remaining red over an extended period of time instead of turning green or wood colored over time.

New rose growth is for the most part reddish in color that changes to green or woody stems. 

Look for articles written by Ann Peck who is an expert in the field on RRD and read what she says.

If the symptoms continue, you may need a certified Rosarian to look at your plant. If it turns out to be RRD, you will have to remove the entire plant (all roots too) before replanting another rose in the ground. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

Yes I meant rich clark...i didn't know his name was a foul language and it was removed..lol. there were no buds or flowers on this cane...just super big thorns, on a greenish cane. No, it didn't have that new rose growth that starts out reddish, I know what you mean. This was a thick green, thorny cane, no normal leaves either. It is from Weeks nursery, so I think it may be grafted, but not sure. I'll see what I can find out. If it happens again, ill take a pic and show it to my local nursery where I bought it. Wonder if I can carve it out somewhat?
Respected Contributor

I looked the cane over again...in my garbage🙄...the lower half had some green leaves...the rest towards too had tiny ones. Nothing unhealthy...just different. Perhaps it is grafted like jazzmom suggests. I'll keep an eye on it.