Honored Contributor

Re: Snow. snow and more snow...

@Lilysmom  That's the price you pay for living in the frozen North.   Now this summer when we're sweltering,  you be cool and comfortable.   I couldn't do all your summertime gardening even if things would grow here because it gets too hot to be outside by late morning.   We had 3" of snow last week and I loved it.   This week will be in 60s every day. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@hoosieroriginal, you lucky girl!!!  Patience, patience for me!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624, the weather is changing here.  Our summers last longer into Fall and our winters last longer into Spring.  I am actually happy to see the snow in a way as it will quence our ground.  We are also having longer periods in hot weather without rain.  It makes wonderful vacation weather but we gotta have rain too.

My brother and SIL in British Columbia have a very arid climate and can't grown much either.  Now that I would miss.  

Some day I will make a trip to your area.  It must be beautiful there.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

On the northeast coast (Nova Scotia) we just had back to back nor'easters a day apart.  We got 60-70 cm (24-28") in the first one and 30 cm (12") in the second one a day later.  Thank heavens we got the first one cleaned up before number 2 hit.  

Below is a photo of my heron in summer.  After the first storm, he looked like he is in photo 2.  After the second storm, I was too busy shovelling to take a photo😩.

The drifts were so high, we had to knock them down to put them in the way of the snowblower.  I've had enough of winter now.  Bring on the Spring!!!  LM

IMG_7006.JPG

IMG_6332.JPGIMG_6328.JPGIMG_6321.JPG

@Lilysmom  WOW!  Poor heron, lol.  Do I see real ducks way in the background, or geese?

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl, we make sure to feed the birds in winter especially after a heavy snowfall.  Some times the ducks stop by for a snack as well.  

We have had above normal temps for the last couple of days and heavy rain last night so the heron is visible to his knees now😊.  So happy to see the snow go.  No doubt Mother Nature has yet another one or two before the end of the season but time is on our side now.  LM

Honored Contributor

We had that same line of storms come through last night. It's now appropriate temperatures today (in the 30's).

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

We had that same line of storms come through last night. It's now appropriate temperatures today (in the 30's).

@JustJazzmom, is your snow gone?  It is beautiful here today.  If we didn't still have so much snow, I would be outside picking up twigs.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Lilysmom  That's the price you pay for living in the frozen North.   Now this summer when we're sweltering,  you be cool and comfortable.   I couldn't do all your summertime gardening even if things would grow here because it gets too hot to be outside by late morning.   We had 3" of snow last week and I loved it.   This week will be in 60s every day. 

@Kachina624, I am definitely a morning person.  My garden work is usuall done by 11 a.m.  I just putter after that.  LM

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom wrote:

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@JustJazzmom, is your snow gone?  It is beautiful here today.  If we didn't still have so much snow, I would be outside picking up twigs.  LM

It was 99% gone when we had that run of beautiful weather last week. I picked up pine cones & broken pine branches a few days ago.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

You're in Nova Scotia, am going to make it up there one day!

I have a choice of 5 other places to check weather when I pull up my local weather.

I like to keep track of two other states where we own homes -am always interested in temps and precip. there.  (and also my parents in Calif.)

But Alma (NB) is on my list, too.  It's where my great great grandparents were from and I always wondered how they braved the cold.  (It's 31* there now and it's 69* here.)

One thing for sure is all that snow laying on your land is good moisture for the spring buds and blooms.  Enjoy!