Valued Contributor

Re: Scentables Roses: is this black spot?

Thank you for all the suggestions.  I sprayed with Bonide Rose RX 3-in-1 and that really helped. I'm leaning toward Rose Rust but I'm not sure.

Girl Next Door Scentables Rose blooming.JPGHere's a picture of it just after a light rain and starting to bloom.

Honored Contributor

It could be rose mosaic virus albeit, it does have some features of rust.  In early spring, roses can display various diseases which, if treated early, can be arrested.  Your selection of treatment is a good one.  If it is rust, it should take care of it as long as you use it as directed and not overdo.  I do believe the rose has rose mosaic but 75% of the roses on the market today have it, so not to worry.  You will know in time. 

I have beautiful climbing and rambling roses that are more than 20 years old and I have to take them all down and burn them.  All my tea and hybrid tea roses are diseased as well, probably 25 roses.   They have rose rosette disease.  I have a Reve D'Or that is as big as a pickup truck and the blooms were so beautiful this year and then I have found it has RRD as do every rose in my garden and my New Dawns are 30 years old and span 15 feet wide and as tall.   I am just sick about it but it is  just a part of living and growing a garden.  Probably not as devastating as farmers who lost all their potatoes in the famine of Ireland in the 1800s or the crops to boll weevils in the south and such as that but devastating to me.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nonametoday so sorry to hear you have you have to get rid of your roses.  I would be so sad about that too.

I have extensive gardens and, until last year, I never had any roses.  I added three dwarf knockout rose bushes last year and another two different bare root roses this year.  The beavers ate one of my knockout roses.  They flowered magnificently last year.  I had always thought roses could be difficult and when I hear a story like yours it takes me back a step or two.  

Will you grow roses again?

To the OP, I hope you can contain the damage.  Please update us as requested so we can learn from your experience.  @Wobin 

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

@Nonametoday so sorry to hear you have you have to get rid of your roses.  I would be so sad about that too.

I have extensive gardens and, until last year, I never had any roses.  I added three dwarf knockout rose bushes last year and another two different bare root roses this year.  The beavers ate one of my knockout roses.  They flowered magnificently last year.  I had always thought roses could be difficult and when I hear a story like yours it takes me back a step or two.  

Will you grow roses again?

To the OP, I hope you can contain the damage.  Please update us as requested so we can learn from your experience.  @Wobin 

@Lilysmom1 I will not be able to grow roses in my garden for 3 more years.  I have to have the soil decontaminated and inspected by the county agent before I can grow roses again.  Not everybody does that but I try to live by the rules and not get this mess started again.  I am sure it came from a neighbor because she asked what it was and she did not dig hers up and burn it but left it in the ground until it finally died.  This disease is carried through the air so you can see why a neighbor's might have given it to mine.  I will likely plant something else in their place.  They were so lovely and I probably will sell my house before another rose could reach that beauty.  Waiting 3 years to plant and then 4-5 years for them to get that big.  I once grew 500 roses in my garden but it became to much at our age and we eliminated many of them.  I think this might be God's way of telling me that I am too old for roses.  I did take pictures of them for posterity.  

Respected Contributor

@Nonametoday what a shame.  You have the right attitude though.  Good luck with the switchover.

Valued Contributor

@Lilysmom1 I will not be able to grow roses in my garden for 3 more years.  I have to have the soil decontaminated and inspected by the county agent before I can grow roses again.  Not everybody does that but I try to live by the rules and not get this mess started again.  I am sure it came from a neighbor because she asked what it was and she did not dig hers up and burn it but left it in the ground until it finally died.  This disease is carried through the air so you can see why a neighbor's might have given it to mine.  I will likely plant something else in their place.  They were so lovely and I probably will sell my house before another rose could reach that beauty.  Waiting 3 years to plant and then 4-5 years for them to get that big.  I once grew 500 roses in my garden but it became to much at our age and we eliminated many of them.  I think this might be God's way of telling me that I am too old for roses.  I did take pictures of them for posterity.  

Oh how sad this must have been for you.  I am glad you have photos to remember their beauty.