Honored Contributor

I had a bag of tulips left over that I have ben storing in a cold closet right by my front door. They have all started to slightly "sprout."

I bought two large containers and planted the tulips and watered them today and placed them on a covered outdoor porch. We will probably have at least 10 more weeks of pretty consistent below freezing weather...we can't plant annuals like coleus until Memorial Day here in Buffalo!

Do you think that they will bloom this spring?

At this point I'm considering it an "experiment"!

Esteemed Contributor

@terrier3, great minds think alike.  I had a couple of bulbs pop out of the ground a couple of weeks ago in a thaw.  I took them in, planted them in some soil and have been keeping them barely moist.  I have green tips sprouting.  I think they will bllom but I am no bulb expert.  Promising signs though and better than letting the squirrels run off with them!  LM

Esteemed Contributor
@terrier3, yes, should bloom, but Google 'forcing bulbs'. You might want to bring them into a warmer area.
Esteemed Contributor

@terrier3@x Hedge, you can also force blooms by cutting shrubs like forsythia and witch hazel but trimming the shrub and bringing them inside and placing in a vase. They will bloom if they have buds.  It is what @x Hedge calls forcing.  A nice touch of Spring in the winter months.  LM

Esteemed Contributor
Hi @Lilysmom. I know what you are referring to, but the OP was asking about bulbs. Her bulbs have started to sprout indoors, unplanted, so she can choose one of the forcing methods to let them continue to their full bloom now indoors, then plant them outside in fall 2018, and have them bloom out there in spring 2019.
Respected Contributor

@terrier3

They should most definitely bloom.  I have an island near a kitchen window (facing south)  Presently my last Amaryllis is in full bloom.  I have 2 daffodils, 2 hyacinth, and 2 tulips just beginning to bloom.  Nothing like a bit of Spring flowers to bring a smile to my face.

It's good to see you posting.  I still remember the photos of your beautiful landscaping.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Qustion Re: tulip bulbs

[ Edited ]

I live in the Buffalo area also, and I think since the tulips started sprouting in your closet that putting them outdoors will probably shock them into dormacy until the weather warms up here which like you said could be Memorial Day.  Happy future gardening !!!

Honored Contributor

This year's flowers are already in place in the bulbs, so if they're growing, they should flower. You may not get more flowers next year, but if planted properly and well cared for, they may very well surprise you.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!