Honored Contributor

Please recommend a flower gardening book🌻🌼🌷

Now that I have time to do some flower gardening, can anyone suggest a book that provides a layout showing what to put where?  I once saw a magazine that did something like this with plans for "Butterfly Garden", " Shade Garden" and so forth.

Valued Contributor

Re: Please recommend a flower gardening book🌻🌼🌷

@AuntG

You were recently the subject of a post.  The poster was wondering where you were.  

I gave so many of my gardening books away, but I recommend  "The Garden Problem Solver."  It is part of a series and is a Reader's Digest publication.

I also have "A Garden for All Seasons." This is also from the Reader's Digest publishers and is a very nice hardback.  Both books may be out-of-print by now, however. 

Really though, your best bet is the library because they  have so many choices, old and new.  That way, you won't have to take a chance and order one just to be disappointed in its content.

Honored Contributor

If you live in the West, Sunset's Western Gardening Book is great.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AuntG, if it is shrubs and perennials, take a look for Tracy DeSabato Aust’s The Well Tended Perennial Garden.  It’s very good.  She other gardening books available as well.  You can probably find it at your local library.  LM

Respected Contributor

Some libraries even have used bookstores where you can pick up gardening books very inexpensively.

Honored Contributor

@AuntGwrote:

Now that I have time to do some flower gardening, can anyone suggest a book that provides a layout showing what to put where?  I once saw a magazine that did something like this with plans for "Butterfly Garden", " Shade Garden" and so forth.

Most garden books don't really give you garden designs as much as they give more general information on plants. You might want to consider something like Garden Design magazine and check out their website at www.gardendesign.com.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Agree - Garden Design magazine is fantastic.  No ads, las...

Agree - Garden Design magazine is fantastic.  No ads, last time I had a subscription.  Beautiful ideas.

And yes, the old Reader's Digest books are treasure troves of practical advice.  I have a collection.  Wyman's Gardening Encyclopedia and the Taylor's Guide are great references.

My husband is currently enjoying Gardening For Dummies.  No judgement!  This series is practical and informative.

Nothing compares, however, to talking to gardeners in your area.  Where to plant things is not only about plant selection, but perspective and context (and MUCH opinion).  It's a fun study and trial and error is a great teacher.  I do this stuff for a living.  Jump in and enjoy.  You will learn to see and love your garden, from your unique perspective.🌷

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

Re: Agree - Garden Design magazine is fantastic. No ads, las...

Thanks all. The gardening design books will help me.  When I was younger, I enjoyed flower and vegetable gardening. Now that I took an early retirement, I want to get back to it.  About all I know is tall flowers in back, short in front😀 so the 'dummy' books will help me too.

Honored Contributor

Another way of gardening is to see which direction the sun comes in & determine how much shade vs. sun the area(s) get. 

Always use odd # multiples unless it’s a specimen plant then use one.

Place taller plants at the back or center with shorter plants in the front & sides. 

I have a tricky area area which is a northern exposure that gets sun in the front & shade in the back. It’s about 10’ from front to back. I put daylilies in the front with Lady’s Mantle & Lady ferns in the very back with some summer bleeding hearts mixed in.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼