Esteemed Contributor

Does anyone know about the care of peonies.  I know they only bloom in spring.  I like them, but not if they take a lot of care.  Thanks!!

Respected Contributor

@Patriot3 wrote:

Does anyone know about the care of peonies.  I know they only bloom in spring.  I like them, but not if they take a lot of care.  Thanks!!

I've had them for years, no care at all. You will notice large black ants on them, this is normal and will help the buds to open. In the Fall when the the bloom is gone, cut them about an inch above the ground. They will come up next Spring. Do not plan to cut them and bring them in your home, ANTS!!!

Honored Contributor

@HLP 

You will notice large black ants on them, this is normal and will help the buds to open.

@HLP   How?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@HLP 

You will notice large black ants on them, this is normal and will help the buds to open.

@HLP   How?

They eat the gooey syrup on the buds. This is what my Mom told me , and my Mom knew flowers. And Moms are always right.Mz iMac

Honored Contributor

They are lovely, but you have to support them,with a  cage.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@HLP  Well now, that is interesting.  Moms are always right.   As one myself, I should know. Smiley Wink

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@Patriot3  I love peonies, but there are some issues to consider. As @HLP stated, they do attract large black ants. If I wanted to bring cut peonies into the house, I would quickly dunk them in hot (not boiling) water and shake them vigorously. Then, I would pick off the ants, if any were left. Also, if the flowers are quite large, they will bend down to the ground when you get rain. Some people put up a small fencing girdle around the plant to stop that from happening. 

Bottom line: They smell so good and are just beautiful. I would love plant them again, but they take a while to establish, and we are planning to sell within the next 5 years.

Honored Contributor

Not much care at all.  Those I have here in the Northeast bloom in early Spring.  One problem, the stalks are fragile and fall over when it rains.  It always seems to rain, so they bend over and the rain often destroys the flowers separating the petals.  I cut them to bring in the house before this happens.  You could use something to keep them upright.  

I cut back close to the ground at the same time I cut the flowers.  The leaves often get a fungus.  Not interested in spraying them every year.  Normally, I would wait to cut them down in the Fall.

Every once in a while, I separate them in the ground...they do spread, mine slowly though, to keep them in check.  

Interestingly, I don't have black ants.  I have had them where I lived before.  

I wish they lasted longer...I blame it on the rain, but they are really worth it.  

Honored Contributor

My parents had them in their back yard.  I was never a fan because of the ants.

Respected Contributor

I have them and love them.  Nothing special to do. I cut them back in the fall.

You can google what to do for care.