Respected Contributor

Fried okra made from fresh okra is one of our family favorites. I did not know if some of you have ever seen okra before it is harvested.

IMG_0831.jpeg

Respected Contributor

@On It    That's a nice plant.😃. We grow okra every year too!  It sure is a prickly plant to pick, but well worth it when it's fried up!  We even make pickled okra.  I love it too.  We always save the smallest pieces for this.❤️

Esteemed Contributor

@On It  Yes! When DD was young, I picked her up from a friend's house, and the mom took me out back to pick some okra for us to take home. Sadly, I didn't do a very good job cooking it, and I have not made it since. It was about 35 years ago, and I can't remember how I tried to cook it.

I don't remember if there were blossoms, but they are very pretty.

Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@On It  Yes! When DD was young, I picked her up from a friend's house, and the mom took me out back to pick some okra for us to take home. Sadly, I didn't do a very good job cooking it, and I have not made it since. It was about 35 years ago, and I can't remember how I tried to cook it.

I don't remember if there were blossoms, but they are very pretty.

I don't think the variety we grow blossoms either.

Respected Contributor

I love okra but never thought about growing it myself.  I have had more luck buying frozen okra, for some reason fresh okra a lot of times is tough, not sure why.

Honored Contributor

The blossoms are what turn into the okra.  The flower drops off and there's a tiny okra left behind.

I sometimes grow Baby Bubba since it stays small and I grow it in two containers on either side of the steps to the entrance of my house.  Love fried okra. I tried air frying it, but it's just not the same.  

Honored Contributor

@spumoni99 wrote:

I love okra but never thought about growing it myself.  I have had more luck buying frozen okra, for some reason fresh okra a lot of times is tough, not sure why.

@spumoni99 if you let the pods grow too large, they get tough.  Nothing worse than biting into tough fried okra.  I've had several bad experiences with that at Cracker Barrell.  It's like spines in your mouth.  

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@spumoni99 wrote:

@spumoni99 if you let the pods grow too large, they get tough.  Nothing worse than biting into tough fried okra.  I've had several bad experiences with that at Cracker Barrell.  It's like spines in your mouth.  

Maybe the farmers let them get too large, I always would try to pick out the smaller ones when buying them fresh.

Respected Contributor

@spumoni99 wrote:

I agree.  Sometimes it's just tough for no explainable reason.

Honored Contributor

@cheriere wrote:

@spumoni99 wrote:

I agree.  Sometimes it's just tough for no explainable reason.

@cheriere 

@spumoni99 

Okra loves hot weather, but if it gets dry, it turns hard as a rock.  The plant still makes okra pods but they get really hard and crunchy.

The frozen okra is commercially harvested, so they'll use all the pods, dry or not.