Honored Contributor

Re: Need Something for Memoriam

When my dad passed away I was given a gazing ball (blue) and I put it out every spring, it reminds me of my dad. You might do something other that a tree/plant so he won't have to worry about keeping it alive.

Honored Contributor

It's nice of you to do this for your uncle. How about a clematis? I've grown them in containers, and they've over-wintered fine here in PA. It should be a fairly large container and the vine will need a place to climb. Most varieties are purple-pink but some are light blue.

Honored Contributor

On 4/4/2014 ValuSkr said:

It's nice of you to do this for your uncle. How about a clematis? I've grown them in containers, and they've over-wintered fine here in PA. It should be a fairly large container and the vine will need a place to climb. Most varieties are purple-pink but some are light blue.

There's a very nice disease resistant clematis (many can get clematis wilt, a fungal disease) that looks very nice among climbing roses called 'Betty Corning'.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

That's a lovely, thoughtful & lasting gesture. Good luck!

Trusted Contributor

You and your family have my deepest sympathy. I am sure your aunt will be remembered and missed by many.

If your uncle enjoys sitting outside, what about a glider, a gliding chair, or an outdoor rocking chair? They have a lot of them that are made of recycled plastic and would be maintenance free. Or, if blue would go with the color of the house, you could buy an unfinished one and paint it blue if you chose to do so. The latter would not be maintenance free, though.

A plant would be a nice gift, too, but if you don't live nearby, your uncle would have to water it, fertilize it, etc. The blue gazing ball would be pretty, too.

Please let us know what you decide.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Respected Contributor

We were given a butterfly bush when my dad died. It is lovely and I also think of the butterflies who visit it as visiting relatives who have also passed on.

Respected Contributor

How about an angel windchime. There are quite a few at comfort company dot net.

Super Contributor

Thats easy...Hydrangea! OBTW, sorry for your loss. : (