Honored Contributor

I planted several pots with flowers, had some miracle grow left over from last year,when i used it  i got some of the foam from it on my plants ,next day they looked bad, i keep babying them,  has anyone done this ,and had there flowers come out of their sickness?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest, I don't have much help for you other then keep babying them. For the future, I read somewhere that you should not apply water soluble fertilizer like that to newly planted plants. You need to wait ten days to two weeks before using it. You want the new roots to establish in their new home...or something like that. Ha! Anyway, I always wait. You can use the time released pellets like Osmocote when you plant. They're good because any time you water, your flowers are getting a steady, slow release of fertilizer that won't burn them. I also use Root Blast that QVC sells. Not here to do a commercial, but I've been using it for the last three years and I really like it. You put it in at planting time and it jumps starts your plants...and I still use fertilizer like Miracle Grow, etc. later on for a little blooming boost. Especially important for my hanging baskets.

Take my advice for what it's worth as I am certainly no master gardener. LOL!  Good luck.   

Esteemed Contributor

Have used a lot of last years potting soil.  Never saw any 'foam'.  Any chance the white is Vermiculite which is used to lighten the soil so roots can penetrate?    Best advice I can give:  give the plant a rest - don't let soil dry out but don't over water.  Relax and watch - if it doesn't make it.....................buy another plant!   (wink)

Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest, I would hold off on the fertilizer for awhile.  I also use new soil each time I plant in case there is an issue with the soil.  I am not an annuals expert but those are my thoughts.  Good luck!  LM

Honored Contributor

The miracle grow i was speaking of ,was fertilizer,not soil i always use new potting soil.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@pupwhipped

At best I’m an amateur gardener, but I’ve also had pretty good luck using Root Blast when I plant my flowers each year. They’re all in pots and I use MiracleGro potting soil (as opposed to a liquid fertilizer) with a scoop of Root Blast. I buy the potting soil in huge bags at BJ’s and sometimes have bags left over from the previous year. I haven’t noticed a big difference in the results between the old bags and the new bags. I don’t usually need to fertilize them afterwards. If she hasn’t already done so, I recommend the OP google her plants’ symptoms and see what she can find out. 

Respected Contributor

The trouble is not caused by the MG on the leaves unless you had it mixed too strong.  What's happened?  Did they wilt?  Did you water after potting?  If the plants were potbound and dry, it's possible they were not able to take up water from your potting mix.

After potting, the plants should be allowed to rest in the shade a few days (if they are to go into the sun eventually).  Remember they are in shock from the transplant.  If they are to go in the sun, transition there gradually.