Trusted Contributor

I am an early riser, every day at 4:30-5am.  After the gym, I walk my pup a few miles.  This year, not sure if it's because of the time or weather, the iris and peonies are just unbelieveably gorgeous!  I don't ever remember them being this vibrant and full.  They've always been beautiful but this year they are just standout!  I need to find room around here so I can get some planted for next year. 

Honored Contributor

@Jtdmum wrote:

I am an early riser, every day at 4:30-5am.  After the gym, I walk my pup a few miles.  This year, not sure if it's because of the time or weather, the iris and peonies are just unbelieveably gorgeous!  I don't ever remember them being this vibrant and full.  They've always been beautiful but this year they are just standout!  I need to find room around here so I can get some planted for next year. 

jealous

between the cold, rain and the animals our garden is in sad shape

Esteemed Contributor

We had an unusually wet winter in middle American. Followed by a very late spring. Everything is lush and gorgeous. Iris and peonies are just a couple of the many lovely blooms I'm enjoying this year. "It's a good thing" as Martha Stewart loves the say. Enjoy your walks. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@Jtdmum wrote:

jealous

between the cold, rain and the animals our garden is in sad shape

Things can only get better!

Esteemed Contributor

I always loved Peonies, but was afraid to plant any around the house because they seem to draw ants..

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I always loved Peonies, but was afraid to plant any around the house because they seem to draw ants.

The ants are temporary & are attracted to the nectar that the buds exude before opening up. Ants are not needed for pollination or to get them to open — old wive’s tales. 

I would plant them anyway. The ants can’t come indoors unless you have openings in foundations that aren’t caulked. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Jtdmum - thanks for mentioning that. I had planted iris and they were coming up so well. Then several years - nothing. I thought the bulbs were too wet. THEN this year - they were back. Bigger and better than ever. I wasn't sure what to think.

And my peony bush. I never saw so many flowers on it before. I wish I had taken pictures. 

And I must say I had a ton of daffodils this year. Last year, the daffoils were just ready to bloom. We got a big snow storm and they all froze and never bloomed. I guess this year they made up for last year. But several nights this year, I went out and covered them to protect them from the snow and freezing temperatures.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nataliesgramma  Peonies don't always have ants. Some years mine do; other years not so much. I have some peonies in the back yard near the lot line (not close to the house), but in full sun. Think out of the box and plant them anywhere! Mine are from my grandmother's yard and mom's yard . . . fond memories every time I look at them.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@Nataliesgramma  Peonies don't always have ants. Some years mine do; other years not so much. I have some peonies in the back yard near the lot line (not close to the house), but in full sun. Think out of the box and plant them anywhere! Mine are from my grandmother's yard and mom's yard . . . fond memories every time I look at them.  

I've noticed our newer peonies have neither the fragrant aroma nor ants.  Our old bushes have both.

We're in NJ and our peonies and irises have been abundant this wet spring.  Our irises are still blooming.  Last year the irises were in full bloom early May.

Honored Contributor

The peony ‘Kansas’, a watermelon red is notorious for having no scent at all.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼