Respected Contributor

Field of Wildflowers KRIGIA 🌼🌼🌼

Krigia, a native wildflower to parts of North America.  The most common in my area is sometimes referred to as two flowered Cynthia.  However, there is an endangered species in my state, as there are in many others.

This flower is part of the Aster family.  It mainly grows in meadows and fields and can get nearly 3 feet tall.

I found some lovely examples in early April and again just the other day.  My how they have grown.  I also got some excellent pictures of insects devouring its sweet nectar.  I'll also show the obvious differences between Krigia & the common Dandelion.

IMG_0933.jpeg

IMG_0914.jpeg

IMG_0689.jpeg

IMG_0943.jpeg

Common dandelion below

IMG_0843.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Re: Field of Wildflowers KRIGIA 🌼🌼🌼

[ Edited ]

@cheriere 

Thank you for sharing these lovely photographs.

My husband has a childhood friend with whom he is still good friends.  He has a big farm which is a couple hundred miles from us but we like to go each spring to see the farm he has turned into a beautiful garden.  He has hundreds and hundreds of roses in one part of the farm.

In the other part, he has wildflowers.  Acres of wild flowers.  He plants seeds very strategically in cold weather and they flower about the same time as the roses in spring.  Each field (garden) can be viewed from the other but there is a pathway cut in between them of about 50-60 feet wide.  It's what you think of Heaven being like except on a smaller scale.

He does have a crop of fruit trees that is for commerce and crops of berries and pecan trees.

All that is for commerce.  He has done extremely well converting from what was once tobacco, cotton and rice fields for his ancesters.  The heir to this has ancestry knowledge and college degrees in both agriculture and horticulture. 

I asked what he does with the wild flowers when they have passed their prime.  He said he "bush hogs" them.  I cannot imagine the two worlds "bush hog" and "wildflowers" in the same garden.  He picks some seeds and bush hogs the rest to provide nourishment and more seed for the upcoming year.  

Respected Contributor

@Nonametoday 

Oh my word, it sounds like your friends farm is just magnificent!  Ours in which the house sits, is much smaller in acreage.  We have about 50 acres that I too always hate to see get baled for hay.  At least I know the hay will be used to feed livestock and help them make it through the terrible winter months.  But I always hate to see so many of the wildflowers go.😔❤️

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your beautiful story.❤️

Honored Contributor

@cheriere wrote:

@Nonametoday 

Oh my word, it sounds like your friends farm is just magnificent!  Ours in which the house sits, is much smaller in acreage.  We have about 50 acres that I too always hate to see get baled for hay.  At least I know the hay will be used to feed livestock and help them make it through the terrible winter months.  But I always hate to see so many of the wildflowers go.😔❤️

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your beautiful story.❤️

@cheriere I grew up on a farm and I felt the same.  We did have livestock and I loved them and I sometimes hated to see them have to go where old livestock go or to the auction.  But that's a part of the life and it is what makes the world go round.  when my grandparents were no longer to farm and we had no help, my mother turned it into a nursery for shrub-type plants,  camellias and azaleas.  There was plenty of fertilizer remaining.  Only small plants we grew were daylilies.  Thank you so much for sharing.  I love to hear stories like yours, Cheiere.  

Honored Contributor

Such a cheery golden yellowSmiley Happy

I used to collect wildflowers,especially around the beach town. I had Queen Annes Lace and all kinds of interesting "weeds." I thought they were all beautiful and arranged them in my room.

My mother would dry her beautiful purple hydrangeas and put them in vases inside once they had dried.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@on the bay 

I sure bet you found some beautiful wildflowers where you lived and much different than mine.😃❤️

Hydrangeas have always been a favorite flower of mine too.  I love the way they smell.

I love hearing the beautiful story of how you and your mother loved to dry and arrange the flowers.  Thank you so much for sharing.❤️🌸

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Very pretty little yellow flowers. False dandelion?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Very pretty little yellow flowers. False dandelion?

Yes, I really like these too.  I was surprised by how tall they grow.  The big field that adjoins our house is covered in these and other wildflowers.  I always hate to see them go whenever they mow for hay.

Honored Contributor

I think the natural wild flowers in areas are so pretty, a field next to me has  milkweed, queens anne lace,and other ones,it was sold hate to see what will happen to it.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I think the natural wild flowers in areas are so pretty, a field next to me has  milkweed, queens anne lace,and other ones,it was sold hate to see what will happen to it.

Those flowers you mentioned are all so beautiful and important to pollinators and wildlife.  I sure hope whoever bought it will not allow it to be completely destroyed.❤️