Esteemed Contributor

I used the curved brick for all my garden edges. I like scallops. There is a lot of variety now with options from faux stone, faux wood, "invisible edging, etc. What look do you like? Do you want to define the edge or make it seamless? Do some on line looking to see what is available in your area. On some of these type of projects, I'll go to the store and and buy one of three different options to bring them home and actually "see" them in the space. I find that works very well for me. Then I can make my decision and not wonder if I should have gone a different direction. Most important to consider your budget and the amount of work and time to install the edging. I have quite a bit of clay in my soil so digging and pounding anything into the ground is not quick and easy. Good Luck with whatever you decide. 

Respected Contributor

@Fressa  Very wise advice especially regarding the install.  As I mentioned to OP, we had concrete curbing installed.  We had nearly 400 feet to outline. With their trenching edger and extruding machine they had it done in two days.  My BIL had it done a dozen years ago and his is still holding up.

I have two smaller beds that I outlined with a layer of piled rocks.  Much to my husband's displeasure I am always bringing home rocks.

Esteemed Contributor

@Allegheny, hahaha the rocks.  So funny.  I have a wealth of granite rocks on my property.  I live near Peggy’s Cove.  If you are familiar with that tourist spot, it is one HUGE granite rock.  I had two choices when it came to my property...fight them or learn to incorporate them into the garden.  I chose the latter.  Takes some creative thinking sometimes but much easier in the long run.  I love my rocks❤️😀!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Edging garden beds

[ Edited ]

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

I am adamant about leaving the furrow around the bed, and berming up the planting area for some contour, and drainage.

We will sometimes trace a line with a stone called "Seminole Chips", as a demarcation between the bed and the surrounding area, but I still insist on a grade change.

It requires upkeep.  Plants grow, land shifts, rain falls.  Edges change and need to be sharpened.  The sharp spade is my friend, as is the manual wheel edging tool (with handle).

@Sweetbay magnolia 

Yes !  This Is the way I do it. It gives a well manicured look.

Every spring I make a clean edge with my straight edge

shovel to create a furrow. Upkeep is easier.

In the past I would apply mulch to the grass line but the

grass started growing into the beds and I had to redo them

more often.

Wanted to add.. I call it a straight edge shovel but I see it

is a garden spade. I use something like this with a short

handle.

Blue Hawk Short-Handle Wood Garden Spade

Esteemed Contributor

@MorningLover@Sweetbay magnolia Yes!  I think I want a furrow too.  Can you share a photo?  I think your look is what I am looking for in my front bed.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

Hey, @Lilysmom - I'm surrounded by oceans of water right now, so I have no good examples - but I understand, I think.  In your back on the way to the Lake, you have slopes that slide.  In front, more level?  Take that sharp spade, dig down, pull the handle back towards you, and then kick the soil up.  Makes a nice "bermed" look.  We still clip the turf from that edge (hand clippers) so that the edge stays clean, until we have to spade it again.

The stone chips we use along some of the edges also facilitate water movement, as we do have some pretty heavy flows where our lot sits.  Of course, those can wash out, too, so we replenish those as necessary.  I think they look pretty, too.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just remember that if you use the marble white chips, these contain lime,  so may raise your pH in areas you may not want it to be raised. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sweetbay magnolia, yes the front bed is level (see photos above).  When you get the chance, I would love to see a photo.  We filled the furrow in with mulch but I think I would like to see the chips look or the look with nothing.  

@JustJazzmom, I had no idea there could be a leachate issue.  Our soil is acidic.  I wonder what that would do to it?  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom In acidic soils it would raise the pH. You might not want to put it around acid loving plants like rhododendrons, azaleas, mountain laurels & andromedas.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks @JustJazzmom.  I don’t have any of those in that bed but I do have one hydrangea that might be affected.  LM