Valued Contributor

Re: Do you have a favorite site for ordering roses?

@Dazlin, yes, I've lived in Brooklyn my entire life!  

Honored Contributor

@Brooklynny wrote:

I've planted both bareroot and potted roses and have had success with both.  Favorite online vendors are White Flower Farm and Jackson & Perkins.  Both vendors honor their free replacement guarantees in case of plant failures.

@Brooklynny  Jackson & Perkins makes you pay for shipping on the replacements, which I have an issue with, paying twice for roses that arrived and died soon after, should not have to pay for shipping again.

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:
I've been buying mine local...but they don't carry the Old English fragrant roses. I may take a chance on ordering. Heirloom has been mentioned here before, any others?

@Dazlin  I buy all over online, but Edmunds is also good and hasn't been mentioned.  I bought quite a few at Jackson & Perkins recently.  I have bought many at Heirloom, but have issues with the pictures not being true to the actual rose, and when I sent pictures of the rose they sent, no one could identify it, so I don't buy there any longer, or not often.

Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Chamblee's in TX and Roses Unlimited in SC sell own root roses. Not all David Austin's are disease resistant. Look at Mayflower and Queen of Sweden from him. 

@JustJazzmom  In the hundreds that I have, not many resist black spot, so even when companies say they are disease resistent, not so in my experience.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Chamblee's in TX and Roses Unlimited in SC sell own root roses. Not all David Austin's are disease resistant. Look at Mayflower and Queen of Sweden from him. 

@JustJazzmom  In the hundreds that I have, not many resist black spot, so even when companies say they are disease resistent, not so in my experience.

This is why people need to speak with local Rosarians because what might work w/o disease in one area of the country gets disease in another area. 

I am going by our Extension's experience with these 2 Austin roses.

Many Austin roses in the UK do not get blackspot but crossing the pond, he was surprised to hear of his roses developing blackspot. He then started to work on creating more disease resistant roses. 

And disease resistance can also mean getting blackspot late in the growing season -- not at the beginning of it. I'll take delayed diseases of my roses. 😊

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@JustJazzmom wrote:

This is why people need to speak with local Rosarians because what might work w/o disease in one area of the country gets disease in another area. 

I am going by our Extension's experience with these 2 Austin roses.

Many Austin roses in the UK do not get blackspot but crossing the pond, he was surprised to hear of his roses developing blackspot. He then started to work on creating more disease resistant roses. 

And disease resistance can also mean getting blackspot late in the growing season -- not at the beginning of it. I'll take delayed diseases of my roses. 😊

@JustJazzmom  Yes, I think companies should mention what you did, not just make a blanket statement.  I have been picking off black spot leaves like crazy, and putting them in the garbage.  We have hot days and cool nights, so guess this is what does it.  Later on, I will be fighting mildew.

Do you have any lavender bushes?

Honored Contributor

Do you have any lavender bushes? 

@mousiegirl

No, I do not. But  at one public rose garden we volunteer at there is Nepeta or catmint flanking the edges of this 8 bed garden. There used to be lavender in the corners of the larger beds which had in the walkway a large water fountain that's inoperational. 

The lavender always had to be cut back of winter damaged stems and it got leggy with our clay soils. We ended up removing it and putting Mexican heather (Cuphea)in its place. There is also Lady's Mantle along the interior edges. It just softens the harshness of the pea gravel and low metal edging. 

Regular Contributor

I actually have purchased most of mine at local stores---WalMart, K-Mart garden departments and a very large local nursery. I have teas, floribundas, grandifloras, shrubs... Many are from companies I have never heard of before and not very expensive. I have  several Weeks rose bushes and a couple J&Ps.  My father always bought J&P roses and told me to always buy them or equivalents (I took that to mean expensive!).  He said they were quality stock.  He had a gorgeous J&P peace rose that was 50 plus years old when we finally sold my parents' house.  Ironically, I purchased 2 different mini rose collections from QVC many years ago and out of 16 roses 4 survived past 2 years.  I was refunded for both.

Honored Contributor

Roses sold commercially should be grade 1 status. It's based on the diameter of the stems(canes) and probably ratio of thicker stems vs. thinner stems on the rose itself.