Honored Contributor

I have a couple white day lilies that are only a year old and they look chewed down.  I do not have deer.   The last few years I have started having a rabbit problem but they don't seem to bothering the other day lilies in the backyard and it does not look like slug damage (we have plenty of those also).  

Honored Contributor

Re: DO RABBITS EAT DAY LILIES?

All I did was google your question and came up with a lot of stuff:

Go here:http://www.onlinerabbitcare.com/can-rabbits-eat-daylilies/

And here:http://web.extension.illinois.edu/cfiv/homeowners/971227.html

And here:http://www.critter-repellent.com/rabbits/rabbits-test-garden-flowerbed

If you want to know something just google your question.  Often a lot of people have the same problem and they'll tell you how they settled their problems.

Super Contributor

@DiAnne Sorry, I read it as ,do rabbits eat day lilies dailySmiley LOL  My allergies are messing with my eyesight.

Honored Contributor

Something eats my day lilies, I'm not sure of the culprit.  I think rabbits eat the tender new growth and slugs eat the flowers.  I also have deer, but rabbits are more common.  I'll have to remember to both use Liquid Fence and slug pellets on daylilies this year.  Last year they weren't very attractive because of all the damage.

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne   Yes, but only at night.   lol

Sorry, I couldn't resist. 

Honored Contributor

We have a lot of rabbits as we are up against a woods. They have never bothered my Day Lilies.

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne the first year I had them the rabbits ate all the leaves off the stems.  So I bought a spray at the garden center to keep them away.  Be careful though, it stinks if you get it on you.  I sprayed it on a windy day and it blew back on my clothes. 

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

I did google it and got conflicting answers so I thought I would ask some of the gardeners on this forum.  

@makena@jubilant@ValuSkr

Thanks for your input.  

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne I understand that and as you can see you would get conflicting views no matter what.

You will always get conflicting views here too.  In the end you have to decide what works for you.

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne We have had rabbits visiting my yard that has daylilies and Asiatic lilies. They will eat Asiatic lilies but don't touch the daylilies. Earwigs will chew on the flowers as when I have removed spent daylilies, have found one or two inside! 

An organic way to get rid of earwigs is to roll up a newspaper and lay it on the ground. They go inside the pages and you can throw the paper out in the AM.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼