Respected Contributor

Do you have a favorite site for ordering roses?

I've been buying mine local...but they don't carry the Old English fragrant roses. I may take a chance on ordering. Heirloom has been mentioned here before, any others?
Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have a favorite site for ordering roses?

Davidaustinroses.com.

His roses are the BEST!!!

Respected Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

Davidaustinroses.com.

His roses are the BEST!!!

I always look on his site, just gorgeous!   So I see only a few are in 2 gal. pots...most are either bare root, or own root.  I read about the difference, but I never planted those.  I always got the the potted ones.  I just plop them in a soil mix, and they've been doing fine.   I'm a little afraid on the root ones....have you used these, are they more risky to work with?

Valued Contributor

I've planted both bareroot and potted roses and have had success with both.  Favorite online vendors are White Flower Farm and Jackson & Perkins.  Both vendors honor their free replacement guarantees in case of plant failures.

Respected Contributor

Brooklynny..I just have to ask, are you from Brooklyn, NY? It's my hometown...Canarsie. I'm now in Florida.
Honored Contributor

Chamblee's in TX and Roses Unlimited in SC sell own root roses. Not all David Austin's are disease resistant. Look at Mayflower and Queen of Sweden from him. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I always use bare root. You can plant them perfectly, spreading the roots.

They bloom th first year - no problem!

They cost less this way too.

I have noticed that the Southern Channel has started selling his roses - but their prices are way higher than going directly to the source.

Respected Contributor

Thank you all so much!!   My daughter ordered the Queen of Sweden, form David Austin.  She signed up for alerts on the old english cabbage tooWoman LOL   Think she's giving it to me for mother day!!

UMMMM...I think roses are addicting???

Appreciate the sites mentioned here...they all look good.  I'll keep them in mind for next order.   Chamblee, very nice prices.

Honored Contributor

I've used Chamblee's for years for my own roses and they haven't let me down yet. 

They arrive small -- like size of an I Pad but by the end of growing season they double or triple in size.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

Good to know. My daughter just told me it's NOT a mother's gift..she just wanted me to have it. Sweet daughter ! I'm sure I'll order again..thanks