Honored Contributor

Re: Butterflies a problem???

@QVCFanfromLongIsland The Eastern Swallowtail butterfly also lays eggs on parsley. It will grow back once the caterpillars eat their fill. 

Another suggestion: like grow a row for the hungry. Grow a batch of parsley for the butterflies. Take those egg filled leaves and place by the spare parsley. 

I had 9 caterpillars on my parsley one year & they ate most of it but it did grow back with new leaves in about 2 weeks. About that time I saw one Swallowtail in the area. I’d like to think that was one of them from the 9 caterpillars.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I love butterflies,and would never remove their eggs.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom wrote:

We are asked here in Nova Scotia to plant milkweed to act as a host for larvae.  They are endangered.  Hopefully you can do something to accommodate both your parsley and the butterflies too.  Good luck!  LM

YES!!!

I took a trowel to a "wild" unused area behind the grocery store and dug up milkweed. Brought it home and transplanted it into the "wild" area at the rear of my lot.

We had host plants for Monarchs when I was growing up and I wanted to have that in my yard again.

Honored Contributor

The field next to me ,i do not own it has milkweed, the owner mowed the field.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

We are asked here in Nova Scotia to plant milkweed to act as a host for larvae.  They are endangered.  Hopefully you can do something to accommodate both your parsley and the butterflies too.  Good luck!  LM

@Lilysmom  I have many milkweed plants, and a huge 

Asclepias speciosa 'Davis' "Davis Milkweed"

for butterflies to lay their eggs, but I have only seen one butterfly so far this year.  With all that I have, I don't undertand why there aren't more.

Honored Contributor

I didn't know this about parsley and butterflies, so I will planting lots of parsley.

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl, I saw my first butterfly of the season yesterday.  I wonder if the migration is late this year?  We are having a very cool Spring this year with frost well into June.  LM

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

The field next to me ,i do not own it has milkweed, the owner mowed the field.

Oh, @goldensrbest

That seems so cruel.  Milkweed is the only plant monarchs eat.  I hope he/she allows the seeds to resprout -- at least in a designated area. 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

This was interesting.

I wonder, is it too late to plant an herb garden to attract them?

If it is, I will definitely do it next year.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

This was interesting.

I wonder, is it too late to plant an herb garden to attract them?

If it is, I will definitely do it next year.

@CelticCrafter

I have a patio with only narrow planting strips around it.

But in an effort to help monarchs, I just bought a 30 inch long cedar planting box that I plan to use for milkweed next year and, fingers crossed, monarchs will discover it.  Maybe I'll even put in some parsley for the swallowtails.

Anyone planting milkweed seeds should be sure to stratify them before planting to ensure germination.  In case anyone doesn't yet know, stratification is duplicating nature's conditions that a particular plant's seeds might need before they can sprout.  For most milkweed seeds, that means cold temps that can be duplicated by keeping them in the refrigerator between moist paper towels in a plastic bag for 3 to 6 weeks.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.